How you move is why we’re here. ®
Now more than ever.
Get back to what you need and love to do.
The possibilities are endless...
Now more than ever, our guiding principles are helping us in our search for exceptional talent - candidates who align with our unique workplace culture and who want to maximize
the abundant opportunities for growth and success.
If this describes you then let’s talk!
HSS is consistently among the top-ranked hospitals for orthopedics and rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report. As a recipient of the Magnet Award for Nursing Excellence, HSS was the first hospital in New York City to receive the distinguished designation. Whether you are early in your career or an expert in your field, you will find HSS an innovative, supportive, and inclusive environment.
Working with colleagues who love what they do and are deeply committed to our Mission, you too can be part of our transformation across the enterprise
IT Instructional Designer I - Professional and Hospital Billing and HIM
The IT Instructional Designer role provides training for Hospital for Special Surgery’s employees on the PB, HB and HIM applications within the Epic electronic medical record system, as well as other assigned hospital systems. The IT Instructional Designer leads instructor-led (classroom) training sessions, and develops curricula for classroom and web-based (e-learning) courses. This role takes a blended approach to address new hire, optimization, and efficiency training needs.
This is an exciting and dynamic role that supports HSS’ growth and strategic plan by enabling clinicians to leverage the power and efficiency of our integrated electronic medical record platform. This role reports to the IT Training Manager.
- Assists the Training Manager in the design and implementation of a training strategy and training plan for the assigned applications/systems.
- Partners with the business and IT stakeholders on course material development to ensure policies, procedures, and system functionality are accurately reflected.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to identify and document functional requirements, workflows and policies to form the composite of training curriculum and content by role.
- Develops e-learning courses modules using e-learning authoring software (Captivate).
- Develops classroom curricula (e.g., PowerPoint Presentations, Exercise Booklets, Quick Reference Guides/Tip Sheets, etc.) applying instructional design methodologies.
- Assigns training materials to be completed by staff for new hire, efficiency and optimization training.
- Provides classroom training to end users of assigned application(s).
- Schedules course offerings with new employee orientation and other major events, including new go-lives.
- Assesses the efficacy of training programs by administering end user proficiency assessments, and surveying learners with 30 and 60 day post-training evaluations.
- Builds, tests and maintains the master training environment (MST) for the assigned Epic application(s).
- Reviews and tests system changes, enhancements, and each new release as assigned to ensure training materials and the MST environment remain updated.
- Maintains training documentation by versioning, organizing, and publishing materials across several platforms which include the Learning Management System (LMS), education intranet site and SharePoint.
- Leads the Epic Experts (Super Users) program for their assigned application(s) by communicating system changes, workflow enhancements, and new training documentation in monthly Expert group meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in education, healthcare, or a related field, or four (4) years of relevant experience in adult education or instructional design within a healthcare setting, including experience in planning and developing learning objectives and course materials for clinicians or patient access staff.
- Candidates must have at least one year of direct experience training Epic’s revenue cycle systems in a classroom setting.
- Must be certified Epic Curriculum Development and MST Build.
- Requires certification in any additional assigned Epic applications within the first (1) year of hire.
- Must maintain certifications in assigned Epic application(s) on an annual basis.
- Must complete Training Environment and Documentation (TED) course for each assigned application within the two months prior to MST rebuild.
- Candidates must have proven problem solving, analytical, administrative, written and verbal communication, presentation, customer service and leadership skills, and will be expected to balance multiple initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word).
- Proficiency with Learning Management System administrative functions and build is preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Captivate is preferred.