BrainPOP makes rigorous learning experiences accessible and engaging for all. Proven to raise academic achievement, the brand has been trusted by educators and parents worldwide for more than two decades. BrainPOP has a presence in over two-thirds of U.S. districts through school and district subscriptions and an estimated reach of 25 million students annually. Beloved by kids, BrainPOP provides endless opportunities for them to take agency over their learning through playful, knowledge-building content and learner-driven experiences that strengthen critical, computational, and creative thinking across the entire curriculum. The company is committed to empowering kids to succeed and thrive in the classroom and beyond.
Founded in 1999 by former pediatrician and immunologist Avraham Kadar, M.D., in 2022, BrainPOP was acquired by KIRKBI—the family-owned holding and investment company of the LEGO® brand—in its first acquisition in digital learning.
We are seeking a technically minded Analytics Engineer to join our growing Data Engineering team. In this role, you will focus on digging deep into the expansive repository of data we have collected over 20+ years to build meaningful in-product dashboards and reports. You will establish a strong foundation of our data and what it means and support product stakeholders as they seek to understand customer behavior and how customers are using our products. You will support and assist data engineers in understanding the data, help define metrics in the product, and support the data certification program with your analytical skills. This information is used to help teachers do their critical job better and help them understand how BrainPOP can help students reach their potential.
In this role, you will:
- Support the product teams in their data needs, specifically helping to define metrics and build out new reporting tables that will be used for both in-product reporting and internal dashboards (generally built by others) to help understand our product performance.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis for product-centric requests
- Transform and model datasets for myriad business use cases.
- Write queries to support our anomaly detection and data quality tools
- Contribute to data discovery, certification and governance initiatives
- Build dashboards and reports per specification you will assist our stakeholders in designing
- Assist your data engineering colleagues with analysis and writing queries to build data pipelines, etc.
On your resume:
- 5+ years of work experience in data-centric roles, including analytics and data engineering
- 4+ years experience crunching data, performing exploratory analyses and digging into consumer behavior interacting with digital content
- Demonstrated mastery of SQL and working knowledge of one or more programming languages, python strongly preferred.
- Experience with statistical techniques (mean/median/mode, frequency distributions, standard deviations, etc) and more advanced techniques such as logistical regression, clustering, nearest neighbors, decision trees, etc.
- Experience building reports in one or more BI tools (Looker/Mode/Tableau/Sisense, etc.)
- Experience working with stakeholders and being the ‘translator’ between business needs and requests and formal metrics definitions and queries/
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
About our ideal candidate:
- Experience performing analyses on digital content consumption a strong plus
- Demonstrated ability to execute on well defined small and medium projects in a timely manner.
- Experience working our data stack: AWS, Airflow, Snowflake, dbt, Looker/Mode/Tableau.
- Self-starting and interested in building a modern, best-in-class data platform.
Life at BrainPOP
What we do today directly impacts how teachers teach and students learn. We continue to be inspired because we can see the difference we’re making and are proud to be a creative, collaborative, always-teaching, and always-learning community. Our commitment to supporting and empowering teachers and students is reflected in our dedication to enhancing the lives of our employees—in and out of the office.
Our team is made up of educators, data scientists, published authors, engineers, artists, bakers, film buffs, cyclists, dual citizens, and so much more. We value Diversity & Inclusion, collaboration, and learning from multiple perspectives, and we encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work.
Besides offering a comprehensive benefits package and emphasizing work-life balance, we make it a point to integrate fun and play into the workplace.
- Corporate Donation Matching
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Paid Life Insurance
- 401K with a company match
- Friends & Family BrainPOP Subscription
- Learning & Development Stipend
- Wellness Activities (ClassPass Membership)
- Annual Performance Bonus
- Company Events (happy hours, volunteering opportunities, trivia nights, and monthly Town Halls)
The starting salary for this role is between $110,000 - $130,000, depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. We have competitive pay bands for all other countries based on market standards. Individual compensation decisions are based on several factors, including experience level, skill set, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. Based on these factors, we expect most candidates offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description, as posted. If so, the updated salary range will be communicated to you as a candidate.
BrainPOP is a hybrid work environment, allowing employees to self-select (depending on role requirements) where they work–whether fully remote in approved states or in-office in our New York headquarters.
We can employ remotely out of the following approved hiring states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
We believe that a diverse organization is a more effective organization. BrainPOP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.