Who we are:
MasterClass is the streaming platform where the world’s best come together so anyone, anywhere, can access and be inspired by their knowledge and stories. We put you in the room with the creators, thinkers, makers, and leaders who have changed the world so that you can change yours.
Members get unprecedented access to 150+ instructors and classes across a wide variety of fields, including Arts & Entertainment, Business, Design & Style, Sports & Gaming, Writing, and more. Step into Nas’ recording studio and Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen, and go behind the big screen with James Cameron. Design your career with Elaine Welteroth, get ready to win with Lewis Hamilton, perfect your pitch with Shonda Rhimes and discover your inner negotiator with Chris Voss.
About the role:
This is a leadership role working with a talented team of copywriters focused on introducing MasterClass to the world and inspiring everyone to learn from the best. We tell the stories that connect people with our mission and products. To do that, we need an outstanding Associate Creative Director, Copywriter passionate about shaping messages that inspire action and move perceptions. Whether we’re creating traditional advertising campaigns, digital experiences, social campaigns, internal manifestos, or printed materials, the ACD Copywriter, will be instrumental in crafting our story for the world.
The ideal candidate for this role is a writer by heart and trade. This person is a master of all forms and mediums and is equally excited to write a TV script, a strong headline, newsletter copy, or a social post. We are looking for someone with a strong conceptual ability, who is a strategic thinker with work that shows exceptional craft and the ability to shift between many writing styles and tonal nuance.
What we are looking for:
- Associate Creative Director, Copywriter with experience leading teams across advertising and editorial/content strategy workstreams
- Empathetic and effective people manager who can mentor, support, and inspire our team of in-house copywriters
- A proven creative leader who has a solid track record of creating compelling, award-worthy work
Responsibilities of the role:
- Help define and champion the voice and tone for all marketing copy across advertising, product, and editorial touchpoints
- Lead the conceptual development of world-class marketing campaigns across traditional, experiential and digital channels
- Develop the content strategy and mentor a team of copywriters in the creation of longer-form editorial projects
- Work in close-knit partnership with creative, brand, and performance teams to generate forward-thinking ideas and strategies.
- Deliver on-strategy, on-target, and on-brand messages and ensure other writers are doing the same
- Present clear ideas and concepts to internal stakeholders and external creative partners
- Ability to give creative direction and strategic guidance to internal and external creative teams.
- Manage and mentor a team of copywriters
- Ability and willingness to act as an individual contributor
- Ability to work across multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Maintain very high standards with an exceptional eye for the details
- Ability to give solid direction and work seamlessly with designers, art directors, motion graphics artists, and video editors
- 10+ years of experience producing award-winning work for international or national brands
- Strong conceptual and strategically-led work
- Agency and in-house experience preferred
- Someone who inspires the team to do their best work and helps others solve problems
- Exceptional presentation skills
- Immaculate attention to detail
- Experience working in a creative team environment, being paired with art directors to tackle campaign concept development
- Ability to write in a different tones across many categories
- Experience managing a team - proven track record of empathetic, effective people management.
- Experience working across formats and styles - from short-form advertising copy (headlines, OOH, taglines, TV scripts) to longer-form editorial writing (email/lifecycle, product, articles)
$176,000 - $236,250
The salary range above is for NYC/CA/WA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location where the position may be filled.
MasterClass’s salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry. In addition to salary, we also offer equity and comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, flexible PTO, and more). The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you. #LI-EC1