Empire State University, SUNY’s leading online university and New York state’s only public online institution, has launched the search for a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative Chief Information Officer and Vice President for Integrated Technologies (CIO and VP).
The University: Founded in 1971 as the innovative campus of the State University of New York, Empire State University empowers learners from diverse backgrounds to achieve their educational goals. SUNY Empire has decades of experience providing educational access through online teaching and learning, individualized instruction, mentoring, and prior learning assessment. The institution builds on students’
experiences to promote their growth and drive upward mobility and economic development in New York state and beyond. SUNY Empire's 94,000 alumni are entrepreneurs, nurses, teachers, businesspeople, and leaders in their communities and their fields. Visit www.sunyempire.edu and follow SUNY Empire on social media @SUNYEmpire.
The Position: The CIO and VP, as a part of the President’s cabinet, works collaboratively across the institution with diverse and multiple stakeholders and will be a key partner in the realization of the university’s new strategic plan, Elevate ‘28. SUNY Empire seeks an integrated technologies leader who will build on the strengths and unique brand identity of this online institution and its stakeholders to enable innovation and maximize efficiency in the realm of technology. The successful candidate will demonstrate a balance of technical expertise, program accountability, can-do approach, and leadership savvy; define and achieve strategic initiatives and execute strategic plans that align with the overall mission, vision, and plan for the organization; and be innovative and have visionary thinking with strong communication and exceptional interpersonal skills to communicate with a diverse population of stakeholders and the
The CIO and VP is responsible for ITS leadership, as well as the planning and management of the entire IT infrastructure to support the university’s mission, vision, and priorities. The CIO and VP advocates for the development and application of information technology to support the university and to provide leadership for the effective use of technology for teaching and learning, and to reinforce business process re-engineering, and managerial success in a distributed organizational environment. Leading a staff of approximately 60 and a current budget of $6.6 million, the CIO and VP maintains high standards in project management, communications, and outcome assessment while instilling an environment of creativity, experimentation, and evaluation. The Office of Integrated Technologies includes academic technologies, administrative systems, voice and data communications, IT security systems, project management, and training and user support. The CIO and VP works closely with various stakeholders across the SUNY Empire which include the Office of Academic Affairs, Administration and Finance, Communications, and Enrollment Management and Marketing. Other duties include leadership in administrative process reengineering and innovation in uses of technology to promote learning and research.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to articulate and implement a shared vision for integrated technology across the university, enable staff from different teams, build integrations between different technology stacks, and seek to optimize for speed and cost wherever possible
- Expert understanding of information technology in a higher education environment
- Proven expertise in various IT areas including some of the following: enterprise applications, learning management systems, security, networking and infrastructure, user support services, IT portfolio analysis, and policy development
- History of progressively responsible IT leadership experience to include budget, project implementation, management, and assessment
- Evidence of successful use of technologies to drive innovation in a complex learning organization
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituencies and to build consensus among these groups
- Strong technical background across a variety of interrelated computing environments
- Effective communication skills
- Successful supervisory experience and team-building expertise
- Ability to demonstrate an openness to different viewpoints and communicate in a manner that conveys sensitivity and respect for diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Advanced degree
- At least eight years of information technology experience, and at least five years of leadership and/or management experience across functional teams in a complex organization
- Experience with multi-site networked environments
- Understanding of technologies that enhance teaching and learning and contribute to innovative learning environments
Location: SUNY Empire proudly serves 16,000 students across the state of New York and beyond. While faculty, staff, and professional employees work around the state, the administrative offices are in beautiful Saratoga Springs, New York. Picturesque tree-lined streets with rows of gracious old-style Victorian houses and restored spa areas reflect the city's colorful history. The town is highly walkable, offering access to
restaurants, cafés, bookstores, and the nation's longest continuously running race course. The region boasts lakes and forests and has a rich assortment of cultural and natural offerings, including the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and the beautiful Adirondacks nearby. Albany, the state's capital, is a short drive down the Northway, and New York City, Boston, and Montreal are within a 3.5-hour drive. Please visit
www.Saratoga.org to learn more.
Salary: $180,000 – $200,000
Application: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resumé/curriculum vitae to RPA Inc.at SUNYEmpireCIO@rpainc.org. For a confidential discussion about this opportunity or to make a nomination, please email Kira Heath, Search Manager, Amanda O’Donnell, Vice President and Senior Consultant, or Dana John Cohick, President, at the email address listed above. The first review of candidates will begin on August 14, 2023.
SUNY Empire is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that having diverse faculty and staff is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.