About the team
The Tech Strategy team is committed to building and driving innovation for internal-facing and external-facing web applications that support College Board’s core products. Our team consists of several Enterprise teams each of which owns a unique, data-intensive, high-impact, single-page web applications. We own the full stack, from the infrastructure in AWS to the front-end and back-end code deployed there. We build everything serverless, in the cloud, leveraging current and cutting edge. We are remote, but close-knit. We are proactive, passionate, and outcome-oriented, putting a premium on quality and efficiency.
About the Opportunity
As an Architect, within the Technology Strategy group, you will plan, architect, implement and standardize various aspects of the organization’s cloud solutions, in support of various product and service offerings. You will focus on forward looking technology innovation and strategy for College Board’s application and data architecture, as a core contributor of the organization’s “Elevated Engineering” initiative. You will take ownership of conceptualizing, developing, standardizing and driving the adoption of various cloud-based application and data management patterns, test automation and best practices across the various product and application delivery teams. In this context, you would have to be prepared to take on various roles, hands on as well as supervisory.
You will maintain awareness and knowledge of the emerging trends in technology, and its usage within the industry, and will apply this learning in the establishment of new and innovative technology strategies to support College Board’s business needs. Succeeding as an Architect will require in-depth technical knowledge, experience and skills, necessary when building solutions to support a single technology or line of business, as well as breadth of knowledge in multiple technology areas, necessary when building and integrating solutions across multiple technologies and lines of business, in an enterprise environment.
In this role, you will:
- Assume ownership of all aspects including delivering value via outcomes and continuous improvement
- Manage efforts with purpose and approach to ensure delivery of quality solutions
- Employ creativity to devise effective and efficient testing strategies
- Demonstrate critical thinking - including abilities in analysis and problem-solving
- Use systems thinking to break down problems into manageable pieces, how the pieces interact, and when assembled, create an integrated, functioning, “whole” system.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication capabilities
- Be skillful at facilitation and negotiation
- Be an effective team player with strong emotional intelligence – self-awareness, confidence, ability to manage conflict, and empathy
- Respond to questions and issues – i.e., effective in communicating complex concepts to diverse audiences at all levels in the organization
- Bring a passion for technology, with an ability to understand and assess new technologies, and their potential applicability to business needs in an efficient, effective manner.
- BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field/equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience developing, tuning and implementing large-scale, complex system architectures
- Demonstrated professional competence in the principles and practices of Cloud architecture as they relate to:
- Demonstrated experience in leading and mentoring technical staff in the development and usage of cloud technology architectures and solutions
- Working knowledge of and experience with other enterprise domains (application, security, performance engineering, infrastructure data, etc.)
- Experience working in Agile/Lean development environments
- Excellent software development habits (unit tests, Test Automation, in-code documentation, etc.)
- Team Member attitude – willingness to support the Team to be successful in any area necessary
- Experience in architecting solutions using Amazon Web Services for “cloud-scale,” high availability, reliability and security
- Coding solutions that are composed of Amazon Web Services offerings
- Communication of Cloud concepts to peers and customers
- Design of mobile platforms
- Assessing the adequacy of technology controls and security measures
- Service Oriented Architecture
- Design of Continuous Delivery pipelines and the tools used to deliver solutions (SVN, GIT, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins, Travis, Bamboo, Concourse, Salt, AWS Code Deploy, Docker, etc.)
- Experience translating business and technical requirements into comprehensive technical strategies and solutions.
- Ability to develop and maintain good customer working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to architect and model mission critical solutions leveraging multiple DBMS technologies (Relational, Big Data, NoSQL)
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing solutions using Amazon Web Services (AWS) services including IAM, Lambda, Cognito, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, SNS/SQS, S3, CloudFront, API Gateway, Dynamo
- Working knowledge of networks, storage systems and computing platforms including WebLogic, Oracle, Linux, Unix, Windows.
- Knowledge of blockchain based distributed ledgers
- Demonstrated ability to adequately plan and meet delivery objectives and maintain adequate service levels in a highly dynamic, complex environment.
- Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Lifelong Learner – what is learned today will be obsolete tomorrow; demonstrated continuous learning
- You are authorized to work in the US
About Our Benefits and Compensation
College Board offers a strong compensation and benefits package that attracts top talent looking to make a difference in education.
- Our robust benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, paid parental leave, retirement benefits with a generous matching program, and more.
- We reward performance through annual bonuses and provide opportunities for salary growth over time through base compensation increases, merit raises and promotions.
- We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact. The salary range for a new employee in this position is $156,000 to $172,000. The salary offer of an individual candidate within this range is specific to their location and qualifications.
- Each salary offer is determined carefully using internal and external benchmarking and adjusting for the candidate’s location. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.
As a self-sustaining non-profit organization with global impact, College Board offers a job that matters, a team that cares, and a place to learn, innovate and thrive!