The Office of the Vice Dean at the Columbia School of Social Work (CSSW) plays a pivotal role in supervising a range of programs and offices associated with academic and faculty affairs while leading groundbreaking academic and educational initiatives. The Office is entrusted with developing and overseeing the curriculum, including selecting instructors for both online and residential programs and providing support in pedagogical approaches and classroom management. Additionally, the Office manages and oversees faculty-related affairs, including appointments, reviews, promotions, and tenure evaluations.
Reporting to the Vice Dean, the Director of Curricular Innovation assumes a crucial role in planning and supervising initiatives concerning academic and faculty affairs.
Responsibilities include taking the lead in introducing new academic programs, actively developing and managing innovative academic and pilot awards, and collaborating with the Provost's Office and other schools or departments, as necessary. The Director of Curricular Innovation is also responsible for the Office’s overall operations, ensuring sufficient support for the curriculum and assistance to the school's standing faculty committees.
This position is on a hybrid schedule of 3 days on-site, which is subject to change according to operational needs.
- Lead the development and implementation of new academic programs and initiatives, including but not limited to certificates and other programs.
- Guide offices within CSSW, including the Office of Professional Excellence (OPE) and Student Affairs, and to other Schools of Columbia University to develop new programs and initiatives.
- Partner with the Vice Dean in developing and implementing strategic initiatives of the Office of Academic and Faculty Affairs.
- Collaborate with OPE, CSSW divisions, centers, programs, and other institutes within and outside of CSSW to research and develop curricular innovation pilot awards.
- Manage budgets of awards in the unit of approximately $35K total budget per year, and 4 to 5 awards per year, and work with the finance team to assure appropriate accounting of the budget and processing of the awards.
- Maintain the quality and integrity of faculty affairs data, utilizing the Interfolio platform for effective information management.
- Offer departmental support for the essential curriculum as necessary, acquiring necessary resources to assist instructors and course conveners in effectively managing Canvas sites.
- Analyze academic and faculty affairs data for quality assurance, program evaluation, and publications.
- Serve as a liaison to school-wide Committees and special programs as needed to oversee procedures and communications. Track decisions and action items across leadership and Committee meetings to ensure progress toward accomplishing goals that advance the mission of the Office and CSSW.
- Develop and manage the Instructors’ Handbook.
- Review and audit the Canvas site to reflect the most current policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required and 5 to 7 years of relevant professional experience required.
- Exhibit professionalism, respect, tact, and discretion when interacting with various stakeholders.
- Demonstrate proactivity in goal-setting and prioritization of multiple tasks within a fast-paced environment.
- Possess strong problem-identification and problem-solving skills.
- Exercise independent judgment, and work autonomously, demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to supervise and provide timely feedback.
- Advanced proficiency using MS Office and other academic software programs.
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills and keen attention to detail.
- Have experience in data management and analysis.
- Experience in higher education, with at least 2 years working in academic or faculty affairs or related units.
- Experience working with social work faculty, students, and administrators; familiarity with social work education
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.