Parchment, the market leader in electronic credential exchange, is looking for a Director of Production Engineering, Platform. As a member of the Parchment Technology organization, you will leverage your deep experience and bring focus, vision and passion to the team. Your efforts (and experience) will move the ball forward, improving our member, learner and developer experience as they interact with the Parchment platform. You will be leading a team of Production Engineers who work cross-functionally with engineering, product and support teams to build, deploy and maintain highly available systems that assure that customers have a consistent and frictionless experience when interacting with Parchment online.
As a leader of this team, you will manage the company's infrastructure in code, oversee networking, and be tightly aligned with InfoSec on operational security & compliance requirements. As a collaborator and influencer, you will work cross-functionally with other business units and teams to build and support scalable technology solutions and processes that empower the Parchment organization to turn credentials into opportunities.
The position can be based in our office in Scottsdale, AZ or can be fully remote, and offers a competitive salary for the right individual. The position reports to the VP of Production Engineering.
- Create strategic direction for the Production Engineering Platform team that aligns with corporate objectives.
- Oversee the day to day, tactical efforts of the Production Engineering team
- Collaborate with the Director of Production Engineering, SRE
- Align on processes, procedures and AORs that meet team, department and company objectives
- Drive standalone (intra-team) and cross-functional projects to achieve business objectives
- Build (and track) service delivery metrics to meet business SLAs
- Leverage infrastructure as code for streamlined, repeatable deployments of infrastructure components
- Provide technical guidance to the team, which includes building and contributing code in order to teach and mentor teammates
- Assist with the design, implementation and maintenance of the build/release infrastructure and CI/CD pipelines
- Continuously improve system design and enhance platform resilience through collaboration with Application Engineering, Security, Enterprise Architecture, and Product teams
- Manage system capacity - regularly review changes to software, systems, and the org to predict capacity changes
- Administer, monitor, and ensure high availability of applications and middleware in Parchment’s 24x7 production environments
- Participate in on-call efforts such as software deployments, maintenance, troubleshooting and security incidents
- Assist the development teams with identifying issues, troubleshooting, stack tracing and debugging across multiple applications and platforms
- Assist in defining and testing high availability, disaster recovery and business continuity protocols
- Support the InfoSec team and the overarching Parchment operational security practices, corporate security policies and compliance regulatory frameworks
- Oversee the design, implementation, and maintenance of global network infrastructure
- Establish and maintain relationships with external vendors, resellers and service providers
- Maintain legacy applications and infrastructure until the broader Parchment organization can gracefully deprecate their services
- Provide the application engineering and security teams support deploying and maintaining the internal Parchment identity platform
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Previous experience running SRE/DevOps or IT teams with operational and infrastructure engineering responsibilities
- Teamwork/Leadership: Interpersonal skills including the ability to lead others, work in a team environment and collaborate with superiors.
- Experience / expertise in an stability-focused, customer-centric, cloud-based environment (AWS preferred)
- Passion for crafting an cloud-based infrastructure strategic vision and plan that supports company strategy and growth
- Deep knowledge and understanding of SRE/DevOps concepts: containerization, container orchestration, IaC, configuration management, continuous integration/delivery, source control systems, etc.
- A strong desire to innovate and automate processes and technology
- Previous experience managing a team of Systems Administrators, Network Engineers, or Site Reliability Engineers
- Ability to write and update advanced shell, Ruby, Powershell, or Python code
- Strong working knowledge of networking (deploy, improve, troubleshoot)
- High degree of comfort with the Linux command line interface
- Must possess excellent verbal and written skills: ability to present IT concepts clearly and concisely to management and end-users. Ability to resolve or work through differences
- Strong problem solving skills
- Leveraging containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Utilizing configuration management tooling (Chef, Ansible, Puppet or SaltStack)
- Operating and implementing infrastructure as code (IaaC) tooling (Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Operating infrastructure as a service platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Operating within regulatory compliance frameworks (SOC2, PCI, FERPA, HIPAA, GDPR, ISO27001)
- CI/CD concepts and operations
- Best practices in infrastructure and application logging, monitoring, intelligent alerting, and automated self-healing
- AWS Certifications, Network+
Desired Education & Experience:
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in a related field. 8+ years of progressively responsible work experience in IT, SaaS Ops or similar field.
Perks & Benefits:
- Salary Range: $180,000 - $200,000
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision package
- HSA & FSA program
- Fidelity 401(k)
- PTO accrual up to 19 days (Increases with tenure)
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Work from home equipment provided
- Mac laptop provided