The Executive Editor, Literacy will lead editorial teams across grades 6–8 and collaborate cross-functionally to develop print and digital resources to support middle school literacy instruction. Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Executive Editor will help plan, conceptualize, and define products, as well as manage roles and responsibilities to deliver high-quality materials that improve educational outcomes. The ideal candidate will be a proven editor and manager who knows what texts appeal to students and teachers at middle school, understands literacy research, and has experience managing editorial processes.
Please note: A cover letter is required for consideration.
The impact you'll have:
- Work closely with the Editorial Director and the Editorial team to define and communicate product vision, goals, and specifications/guidelines.
- Lead development, providing training, reviewing lessons, clarifying expectations, and generally supporting grade-level leads, editors, and writers.
- Solve editorial problems, escalating problems as needed to the Editorial Director.
- Engage in planning and documenting effective and efficient editorial schedules and workflows that support the delivery of high-quality materials.
- Drive team performance to schedule, attending status meetings, providing updates, and arriving at creative solutions to problems.
- Model and guide clear effective communication and feedback with team members, other internal teams, and outside vendors.
- Continually deepen an understanding of research on literacy instruction, digital tools, teacher practices, and student engagement, with an eye toward incorporating it into our products.
- Contribute to constant improvement in the effectiveness of process and communication on the team.
The experience we're looking for:
- At least 6 years of publishing experience writing and editing ELA resources at 6–8
- 3–4 years of experience managing teams developing content for 6–8 ELA
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and grow teams
- Ability to prioritize and track deliverables on a daily basis
- Demonstrated commitment to developing high-quality, instructionally sound content
- Ability to both provide constructive feedback to team members and receive and respond to feedback
- A passion for books, including knowledge of literature and informational texts for middle school students
- Strong project management skills, with a talent for multitasking and team organization
- Strong ability to work collaboratively with a team and maintain a flexible approach to solving problems
- Experience developing both digital and print products
- Experience with software such as Microsoft Office, Zoom, Adobe Acrobat, InCopy, Woodwing, Slack
Not required, although we'd love to see:
- Classroom teaching experience at secondary preferred
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education, language arts, or a related field
Benefits and Pay Range:
Pay Range – This role’s range is $81,500. - $139,500. The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that Curriculum Associates considers in making compensation decisions based on our Compensation Philosophy. Actual base pay within that range will vary based upon several factors including, but not limited to, prior experience and relevant skill sets. At Curriculum Associates, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances for each case. This role is also eligible to participate in the company bonus plan. The Company recognizes that minimum wage varies by location and will ensure all compensation decisions comply with applicable state and local laws.
Benefits – Benefit eligible employees (and their families) are covered by medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees can enroll in our company’s 401k plan and receive an employer match. Employees have access to a flexible vacation and sick policy in addition to twelve paid holidays and a winter office closure between Christmas and New Year's, as well as a number of additional perks and benefits.