At Bedford, Freeman & Worth (BFW), we believe in the power and value of education. We are united by a belief that we can improve lives through learning and currently looking for a dedicated person who can help us do just that. This Outside Sales Representative is responsible for owning our VA, MD and DC territory through pipeline management and proactive outreach. They will conduct in person visits/presentations and virtual meetings, and also engage with customers through phone/email correspondence. This person must be comfortable working independently, formulating sales strategies and building strong relationships.
Major responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing and meaningfully driving sales opportunities forward in Salesforce.com.
- Identifying and building strong relationships with key decision makers.
- Developing and driving strategy and key business decisions in your territory.
- Being able to use needs assessment to make the most out of customer interactions.
- Developing and maintaining a high level of knowledge about BFW’s products and services.
- Effectively managing your time, territory, and resources to maximize sales results.
- Identifying and acting upon the economic and academic drivers that motivate customers.
- Challenging customers’ assumptions and providing valuable insight into the market both internally and externally.
- Being an active teammate both on the sales team and throughout BFW to help meet company objectives.
- Successfully interacting with sales, marketing, specialists and editorial and ensure your customer and territory needs are met.
- Documenting daily sales activities in Salesforce.com, manage your sales pipeline and performing other tasks vital to driving sales revenue and to communicate activities to sales management.
- Seeking out sales opportunities and travel within your territory to your assigned states.
- Attending national and local conferences and one to two yearly sales meetings.
- Overseeing and capitalizing on any bids/RFP that come in in conjunction with the Bids and Contracts team.
- Coming up and deploying with effective email campaigns within the territory.
- Effectively demoing our platforms and products virtually and in person.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Sales professionals with at least 2 years’ experience in outside sales (preferably educational sales) or teaching experience.
- Valid driver’s license and driving record within MVR policy guidelines.
- Documented success achieving and exceeding assigned sales goals.
- Proficient in the g-suite, CRMs (Salesforce, etc), and LMSs.
- Drives two-way communication with colleagues both internal and external.
- Ability to uncover customer needs and provide innovative solutions.
- Willing to work remotely and independently, while collaborating with the team.
- Assertive, high-energy, tenacious, driven, and creative problem-solver.
- Comfortable pushing back on their customers when appropriate.
- Strategic, open-minded and organized.
- Technological savvy, and is highly proficient in navigating and demonstrating complex online products.
Salary Range: $65,000 - $75,000/year
Exemption Status: Exempt
Requires periods of close concentration, must be able to multi-task, must lift 35 lbs. of books on sales calls, must be able to walk up to 2 miles a day on campus, must be able to sit/stand for long periods at conventions, must be able to concentrate in noisy/busy environment, and must be able to travel, including ability to drive for periods from 2 to 5 hours, depending upon the territory involved. A valid driver’s license is required with daily travel within territory and frequent over-night trips. Attendance at national sales meetings and regional meetings is required (5 or more days). During the fall and spring selling seasons it is necessary to work more than 40 hours per week. During these seasons it is necessary to spend all day on campus and then complete paperwork, sampling, and expense reports in the evening.
The position is eligible for remote employment in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington DC.
Regular full-time and qualifying part-time employees and their dependents are eligible for Macmillan benefits, effective on the employee’s date of hire. Macmillan also offers health benefits coverage to qualifying same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners (may require additional documentation) of active employees.
- Company Car Allowance
- Competitive pay and bonus plan
- Generous Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Contributions to your 401k retirement account through Fidelity
- Generous paid time off, sick time, floating holidays, and paid holidays (International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, Juneteenth, Indigenous People's Day, and more!)
- Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- And much more!
Macmillan Learning is a privately-held, family owned company that improves lives through learning. By linking research to learning practice, we develop pioneering products and learning materials for students that are highly effective and drive improved outcomes. Our engaging content is developed in partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers. To learn more, please visit macmillanlearning.com
or see us on Facebook
or join our Macmillan Community
. Macmillan Learning is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a family-owned global media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, veteran, family and economic status and background, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. You can read more about our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives here.
The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources at Macmillan Learning.
Bachelors or better.