Our organization: Illustrative Mathematics
IM seeks to ensure that students, particularly historically underserved students and their teachers have access to aligned, grade-level, mathematics curriculum resources, and that teachers experience professional learning that leads to enduring mathematical learning for their students.
Position Type: Contracted, temporary
Location: Remote - U.S. location preferred
Compensation and Availability
- The compensation is $60 per hour commensurate with experience
- Preference: a commitment to dedicate at least 25 hours per week to this work
- This position is approved to be compensated for up to 30 hours per week based on the workflow and contractor’s availability
We are seeking a dedicated and skilled Instructional Designer who will contribute to the creation of high-quality and accessible Prek-12 math education experiences. The successful candidate will bring expertise in both print and digital instructional design to create impactful educational resources.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Make recommendations to project leads on the design and development of instructional and curriculum materials for a variety of formats including print and digital.
- Develop activities, assessments, and multimedia elements that enhance the learning process.
- Translate user insights into intuitive and effective design solutions that align with the company's educational goals.
- Conduct quality assurance checks to ensure accuracy, alignment with learning objectives, and a seamless user experience.
- Advise product managers, technologists, and other team members to ensure the cohesive integration of content, design, and technology.
- Communicate design decisions and rationale effectively to team members and stakeholders, incorporate feedback, and make iterative improvements to the instructional materials.
- Meet project milestones and deadlines while maintaining the highest standard of quality.
- A minimum of 8 years of proven experience in instructional design and UX/UI design in the context of PK-12 curriculum and or professional learning development.
- Strong portfolio showcasing successful creation of print and digital educational materials.
- Proficiency in instructional design principles, learning theories, and pedagogical approaches.
- Familiarity with curriculum standards, assessment strategies, and educational trends.
- Knowledge of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and accessibility standards.
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems (LMS) and content management systems (CMS).
- Experience with data analysis and user insights to improve instructional design.
- Background in technology, UX/UI, user research, or curriculum development.
- Strong computer skills with cloud-based systems, especially Google Workspace applications, Zoom, Asana, and Slack.
Please complete all areas that are indicated as required (*) on the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Illustrative Mathematics is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and does not discriminate against any applicant, candidate, or staff member on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired for employee roles will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.