At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
The Instructional Development team empowers professionals in higher education to create an engaging digital learning environment that delivers transformative student outcomes. To do this, we provide coaching, training, and feedback to educators to enhance their effective teaching practices including: integrating technology with purpose, motivating students, promoting a safe and inclusive learning community, offering clear and organized instruction, creating meaningful engagement, providing relevant feedback, and continual self-reflection and improvement.
The Instructional Learning Designer is responsible for creating innovative and personalized continuous learning experiences for educators teaching for 2U-powered programs. In addition to developing highly interactive and engaging learning content, this position will conceptualize and implement strategic guidelines and training models to meet rapidly changing business needs. The ideal candidate has extensive experience in instructional design, project management, and learner assessment. This position may also be called upon to facilitate training sessions during peak times.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Conceptualize, research, and implement scalable and innovative learning solutions designed to help faculty learn effectively, including determining appropriate learning medium (asynchronous course, eLearning, micro-learning, instructor-led, job aids, self-study, certificate program) based upon formulated learning objectives and comprehensive learner analysis.
- Collaborate with various internal teams and subject matter experts to ensure processes and resources remain up to date, align with pedagogical best practices, and improve the overall faculty learning experience.
- Develop, implement, and maintain an effective knowledge management system to empower and aid knowledge sharing across 2U-wide and externally.
- Assess data on the use and effectiveness of our resources and communication material to refine content and improve internal/external experience.
- Lead short and long term projects and requests to identify needs of the team and develop solutions to meet those needs.
- Provide internal consultation for team members seeking guidance on learning design principles and best practices. Assist with internal training, faculty training, and classroom observations as needed.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred (preferably in Adult Education, Instructional Design, Graphic Design, or comparable area of study)
- At least 5+ years experience in instructional design, teaching, training, or related field (experience designing content in a collegiate, university or online environment a strong plus)
- Familiarity with online learning technology and adult learning theory
- Experience designing and developing blended learning including e-learning, self-study, and instructor-led virtual training.
- Experience designing multimedia learning content (i.e., instructional videos)
- Experience using authoring software such as Adobe Captivate or Articulate
- Advanced computer skills (Current Microsoft & Apple OS, Microsoft Office, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE, Google Applications)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a courteous, tactful, and concise manner
- Organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail and a high sense of urgency
- Ability to work quickly and accurately; able to multitask in high-intensity situations
- Coding and graphic design experience preferred.
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, U.S.benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability, and 401(k) employer match
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Free snacks and drinks in-office
- Generous paid holidays and leave policies, including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
The anticipated base salary range for this role is ($65,000-$70,000), with potential bonus and equity eligibility. Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, budget for the position and cost of labor in the market in which the candidate will be hired.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at: email@example.com
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we're not stopping there — we're relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.