About the Team
The College Board’s Pivot team is comprised of highly capable engineers that develop and deliver products and customer-facing platforms, which are critical to students, and other internal and external stakeholders. You will be joining a rapidly expanding elite team of engineers. At its maturity, the product will serve engaging content to students across multiple channels, including a mobile app. We are focused on improving the speed and reliability of our service delivery in support of our mission; to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students annually.
About the Opportunity
As an experienced Lead Backend Engineer you’ll be responsible for developing and maintaining a new application and collaborating with multiple products and engineering teams. To be successful in this role, you will contribute to defining the strategic direction, prioritizing features, ensuring successful end-to-end integration across multiple platforms & micro-services, seamless end-user engagement (students & Higher Ed Institutions), escalating issues, and synthesizing feedback to ensure team success. You will lead and mentor team members to successfully implement these solutions and build relationships with all stakeholders. You will participate in the design review process, seeking and providing constructive feedback and demonstrating the ability to succeed in a wide range of complex situations across multiple axes. You will also have the exciting opportunity to create TechEd courses, support our TechEd stack and contribute as a faculty member.
In this role, you will:
- Provide technical leadership and expertise and serve as the primary technology expert on initiatives
- Build highly scalable API’s that are continuously deployed and updated through an automated CI/CD pipeline
- Enable user analytics, logging and monitoring for all services
- Design & develop event-driven serverless applications in AWS
- Build responsive single-page web applications using React.js
- Develop experience and expertise in problem definition, requirements analysis, and brand platform(s) general design
- Collaborate with various team members and stakeholders on requirements definition, feature design, and development. Work effectively through others and lift/enhance the skills and expertise of those around them
- Be an agent of Agile thinking to deliver testable and usable software iteratively
- Identify opportunities for improving application functionality and performance issues by working with customers and architecture resources. Utilize application development tools and methodologies across multiple platforms
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, Engineering, or related work experience
- Minimum 7 Years of experience in professional software development
- Strong experience using AWS tools, including Lambda, DynamoDB, DynamoDB Streams, EventBridge, SNS, SQS, Elastic Search, and more
- Experience in DevOps and Agile methodologies
- Experience with react.js is a plus
- Proactive with a strong sense of ownership and responsibility
- Capable of analyzing, planning, designing, and owning complex or vaguely defined issues with little or no supervision
- A Collaborative attitude that incorporates various perspectives
- Strong communication skills with technical and non-technical peers
- Strong problem-solving, project management, and organizational skills
- You are authorized to work in the United States of America
About Our Culture
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard
- We offer bonuses, and how to grow your career here over time
- Our high-performing engineers work with the latest technologies, so you will be constantly learning and sharpening your skills
About Our Benefits and Compensation
College Board offers a strong compensation and benefits package that attracts top talent looking to make a difference in education.
- Our robust benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, paid parental leave, retirement benefits with a generous matching program, and more.
- We reward performance through annual bonuses and provide opportunities for salary growth over time through base compensation increases, merit raises, and promotions.
- We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact. The salary range for a new employee in this position is $158,000 to $173,000. The salary offer of an individual candidate within this range is specific to their location and qualifications.
- Each salary offer is determined carefully using internal and external bench marking and adjusting for the candidate’s location. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.
- As a self-sustaining non-profit organization with global impact, College Board offers a job that matters, a team that cares, and a place to learn, innovate and thrive!