UWorld is seeking an experienced medical editor with a wide range of interests and abilities to edit the questions and detailed explanations written by our teams of professional educators and specialists for students worldwide seeking to pass the most important exam of their lives.
The exams we help prepare our students for include USMLE, COMLEX, PANCE, NCLEX, MCAT, NAPLEX, MBE, CPA, CFA, SAT/ACT and AP, and the successful applicant will edit materials in a variety of these areas.
Are you the ideal candidate for this position? Here's how we will know:
- You are a detail-oriented grammar demon, and proud of it.
- You have a laser-like focus for finding errors in dense manuscripts aimed for specialized audiences, and an ability to identify structural and logical gaps in content written by subject matter experts and to describe them.
- You have at least 3 years experience editing published educational material with observance of one or more detailed style guides, including at least 2 years of experience editing in a medical or health related field.
- You can excel while juggling multiple tasks in a single day.
- You are a positive person that understands collaboration is crucial to success. At the same time, you're able to stay highly motivated working independently. You give constructive feedback and are a consummate diplomat when writing queries or comments for authors. And you can receive feedback with tact and use that to grow
- You have at least a four-year degree in linguistics, English, journalism, or in a health related field.
- You are disciplined and a motivated professional who is eager to learn and thrive while working on deadline.
- You read a lot, and when you're done you read some more.
- You can write an interesting cover letter which specifically addresses many of these points.
- In addition, you have started noticing the writing and editing missteps in this job description and can confidently address a half dozen or more in tracked changes version included with a cover letter.
Job duties (Including but not limited to)
- Technical/Quality Assurance (80%)
- Edit test questions and explanations for clearness of expression, logical flaws, uniformity of design, and adherence to company style guides in medical, nursing, college prep, AP, bar, MCAT, CPA, and CFA exams
Edit materials for grammar, punctuation, redundancy, clarity, consistency of style, and repetitiveness
- Consult and collaborate (20%)
- Provide suggestions to authors and other editors for substantive changes
Helping to establish style and format guides for a variety of editing projects
- Cooperate with other departments (10%)
- Edit related materials in marketing and recruiting as needed
Ability to take pride in work and give 110% effort
- Applicants must have experience editing medical and/or scientific materials. Corporate communications editors, literary editors, teachers, and/or writers will not be considered.
- This is a full-time position in our beautiful Dallas, TX.
About the Compensation and Benefits
- We offer competitive compensation packages that are contingent on experience, including yearly bonus opportunities.
- We advocate utilizing your paid time off that's allotted on a sliding scale according to hire date and work hours.
- We are excited about our generous paid holiday schedule, which includes the entire week of Christmas off.
- We have a comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance with low copay, as well as life and disability plans.
- We offer a 401(K) plan with 5% employer-matching (eligibility after 90 days of employment).
- We offer a twice daily onsite group fitness class and a relaxed work environment.
At UWorld, we believe strength is derived from the talents, ideas, and experiences of a diverse workforce. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other protected class. UWorld is proud to be an equal opportunity employer providing a drug-free workplace. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.