At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 67 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
his hybrid position requires two days per week in our San Francisco office.
You’re an analytical problem-solver ready to put your skills toward purposeful work that has a global impact. You want to lead the way in innovation, exploring the latest technologies and finding new solutions. You thrive in a collaborative environment and are eager to work with and learn alongside the best in Product, Design, and Engineering.
About this role
We are looking for a seasoned Data Product leader to oversee the product and platform strategy for personalization at Udemy. The recommendations team focuses on how we match our hundreds of thousands of learning experiences to millions of consumers and employees. Success requires creating a recommender platform and algorithms to power deliver the right learning content, packaged the right way at the right time and place. This is a critical role that requires working closely with data science, engineering, other PMs, and various stakeholders across the organization such as the marketing group.
What you'll be doing:
- Be the primary driver for identifying significant Personalization opportunities, and for driving product vision, strategies and roadmaps in the context of broader organizational strategies and goals.
- Work closely with partner teams to deeply understand user needs and behaviors so you can provide clear context to our data and product teams.
- Drive cross-functional collaboration with technical leaders, partner teams, and stakeholders to deliver successful products and/or features.
- Build and maintain a product roadmap by applying strong technical reasoning and user empathy to condense many different partner needs into coherent, scalable back-end capabilities
- Serve as a Personalization and ML/AI domain expert to external teams and align perspectives within team, with stakeholders, and with Product leadership
- Upskill and educate partner teams to improve alignment. Support technical leaders by involving the right leaders in the right discussions and advocating for technical quality, effective team practices, and engineering best practices
What you’ll have:
- BA/BS required, ideally in a technical field
- 5+ years of data product management experience shipping data products with a heavy emphasis on personalization
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders to develop a clear strategy, prioritized roadmap, and go to market approach for navigation our ecosystem
- Great attention to detail but base your strategy on the big picture objectives
- Understand how technology can solve customer problems and can engage in the details with the engineering team to find simpler solutions
- Experience applying agile development methodologies to data product development
- Comfortable collaborating with local and remote product and engineering teams (San Francisco and Turkey)
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
- We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
- Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
- Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
- We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Our Benefits Start With U
Our benefits package at Udemy “starts with U” and is grounded in mission-driven benefits that intentionally align with our core values. Here’s a sneak peek at just a few highlighted benefits if you’re a full-time Udemate based in the United States:
- Core Benefits: Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D, and disability coverage
- HSA/FSA/Commuter: Pre-tax savings/spending plans, including HSA employer contributions
- Transgender Benefits: Expanded medical coverage for gender-affirming care
- Parental Benefits: Financial assistance for fertility (including egg-freezing), adoption, and surrogacy expenses; twelve weeks of paid family bonding for birth, surrogacy, adoption, and foster placement (plus up to six to ten weeks of paid disability leave for birthing parents) as well as a two-week “ease-back” program that enables parents to return part-time at full pay
- Whole U: Fully paid memberships for meditation/mindfulness, therapy/coaching visits, financial planning, fertility and family building, maternity and newborn care, parenting and pediatrics, menopause care, breastmilk shipping, and caregiving support
- Learning: Free access to Udemy and Udemy Business plus a yearly stipend to spend on professional development
- Retirement: Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) plan with an employer contribution
- Charitable Giving: Corporate charitable match for eligible nonprofits and charities
- Vacation: Flexible vacation for salaried Udemates and fifteen days per year for hourly
- Holidays: Twelve paid holidays throughout the year
At Udemy, we strive to be transparent around compensation. Actual compensation for this role is based on several factors, including but not limited to job-related skills, qualifications, experience, and specific work location due to differences in the cost of labor. In addition to a base salary, this role is also eligible for benefits, equity and a bonus.
Hiring Compensation Range