Principal software engineer possesses a great depth of knowledge in one or more technology who will mainly work at platform/ product level by working closely with SE directors, SE managers and Architects. He/ She will be directly reporting to a software engineering director.
The Principal Software engineer designs, develops and implements innovative/complex software products using strong technical skill set and creativity. This position is responsible for complex coding, testing, deploying, and maintaining (full stack development) new software or making enhancements to existing software. Principal software engineer will have to involve in carrying out R&D tasks on his own or through an assembled team led by him/herself and should be able to present it in the forms for presentations, research papers, etc.
This requisition is part of the Pearson/LMS team, which develops innovative integration technology platforms. One of the team’s primary responsibilities is integrating 3rd party LMSs with Pearson's learning tools. We are now in the midst of building our next generation integration platform, which is a multi-year project with enormous strategic value, leveraging state of the art technologies and processes. We are looking for outstanding candidates to bolster the staff of this critical project.
The Pearson/LMS development team is comprised of a small group of inspired developers that thrive on developing cutting edge applications, with a passion for innovation and pride in producing excellent user experiences. Our work environment is collaborative, casual, flexible, agile and results driven. Since the business provides a mission-critical service to a demanding set of clients, high-quality performance is required to meet customer expectations.
The Principal Software Engineer will:
- Identify the production stability, scalability, performance, security requirements (NFRs) and work with product/engineering leadership of the platform, guiding teams to meet those NFRs so that defined levels of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are delivered.
- Guides/ Assists team members find the right solutions when complex technical conflict arise.
- Work with engineering leadership on defined domain/platform specific engineering goals, guides teams to follow them and review to determine progress.
- Stimulate the innovative thinking in teams to engineer better solutions.
- Performs Engineering reviews time to time and provide reports to engineering leadership with proposals to improve.
- Contribute to technical roadmap of the platform by way of suggesting tech debts/tech improvements.
- Engage in research and development related to technology, come up with PoC/ Prototypes where applicable and propose improvements/ alternatives - publish white papers or technical articles or conduct knowledge sharing sessions as necessary.
- Drives and Ensures the Engineering Best Practices are implemented in platform and followed by the teams.
- Specialise on technologies and tools and act as the go-to person for engineering teams.
- Keeps a track of industry trends and make suggestions on what to be adopted in the organization.
Education and Experience:
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline
- 10+ years relevant software development experience creating SaaS applications.
- Designing, developing, implementing, supporting, extending software as a service (SAAS) application.
- Designing, implementing, and documenting APIs that can be broadly consumed by other software engineering teams, both internal and external
- Ability to understand the architectural blueprints and interpret them to analyze the impact to the technical landscape.
- Expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
Current Tech Stack:
- AWS hosted applications.
- Java, Spring Boot, ReactJS, MongoDB
- 5+ years’ experience working in an agile, iterative development environment.
- Experience collecting and analyzing customer requirements to produce elegant and maintainable software solutions.
- Experience leading software automation workflows to remove human dependencies and improve reliability in critical business processes.
- Experience with functional UX design for a professional userbase
- Ability to balance immediate feature needs with broader architectural goals and coding best practices.
- Desire to expand knowledge in many development languages, applications, tools, and external services.
- Quickly learn new processes and tools, business domains and technical applications
- Must have strong time management skills - including the ability to work well under pressure, plan, set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timelines.
- Must be a self-starter and detail oriented.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within a team.
Compensation at Pearson is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific location. As required by the Colorado, California, Washington State, New York State and New York City laws, the pay range for this position is as follows:
The minimum full-time salary range is between $130k - 150k.
This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, and information on benefits offered is here
What to expect from Pearson
Did you know Pearson is one of the 10 most innovative education companies of 2022?
At Pearson, we add life to a lifetime of learning so everyone can realize the life they imagine. We do this by creating vibrant and enriching learning experiences designed for real-life impact. We are on a journey to be 100 percent digital to meet the changing needs of the global population by developing a new strategy with ambitious targets. To deliver on our strategic vision, we have five business divisions that are the foundation for the long-term growth of the company: Assessment & Qualifications, Virtual Learning, English Language Learning, Workforce Skills and Higher Education. Alongside these, we have our corporate divisions: Digital & Technology, Finance, Global Corporate Marketing & Communications, Human Resources, Legal, Strategy and Direct to Consumer. Learn more at We are Pearson.
We value the power of an inclusive culture and also a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to building a workplace where talent can learn, grow and thrive.
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We want a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or any other group protected by law. We strive for a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities.
If you are an individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career site as a result of your disability, you may request reasonable accommodations by emailing email@example.com.
Note that the information you provide will stay confidential and will be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.