At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
You will join a team responsible for building new platform capabilities by offering high quality, high touch courses and related program content. We're looking for a Principal Engineer to join the team to help implement and propose new features, act as a thought partner for process optimization, and help mentor and coach the squad to success. Your work will be used in production by millions of learners from all over the world.
You will be a technical leader and key contributor in the in-courseware Learning & Pedagogy theme. You will have the chance to work with top-tier schools from around the world to help their course building process and tools. Your work will lead to the delivery of more and better courses on the edX platform, for maximum value and impact: you will improve the lives of edX learners.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Design, develop, deploy, and support scalable software systems
- Provide mentorship to team members and assist with feedback on code reviews
- Weigh in on technical decisions, implementations, and trade-offs that impact engineering teams across the organization
- Build and maintain operationally viable solutions throughout the software life cycle
- Promote teamwork, research cutting edge technology, and support a work atmosphere that encourages continuous improvement
- Collaborate with Product Management, UX, and Data Science to understand business problems and identify solutions
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Real-world experience with web development frameworks like Django
- Demonstrated skills with React and redux applications
- Experience developing REST APIs
- Demonstrated skills in building service-oriented architectures
- Prior experience researching and proposing new technologies
- Ability to problem solve and drive projects with loosely defined requirements
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Architecture and solutions development leveraging microservices
- Test Driven Development
- Familiarity with standards-compliant processes for development and accessibility best practices
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, U.S.benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability, and 401(k) employer match
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Free snacks and drinks in-office
- Generous paid holidays and leave policies, including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
The anticipated base salary range for this role is $120,000-190,000, with potential bonus and equity eligibility. Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, budget for the position and cost of labor in the market in which the candidate will be hired.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we're not stopping there — we're relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.