Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We achieve this by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with other classmates who share their passions, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own paths. Our small group classes meet over live video chat with teachers who celebrate their unique strengths and empower all learners to develop confidence and a strong sense of self.
We're also focused on removing barriers for historically underserved learners who face systemic challenges to their success. In 2020, we started Outschool.org
and began offering financial assistance to families in need. We are currently creating an Educator Endowment Fund to appreciate the teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
We believe that diversity drives learning. To meet our mission, we encourage, support, and celebrate different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds. As a fully distributed (remote) team, we challenge one another to find the most effective way to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Your name, race, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and age are not barriers; they are why we want to work with you. We invite talented and creative candidates who value the importance of nurturing a child's boundless curiosity to join us on this journey.
The pandemic has been challenging for families all over the globe. We acted quickly and worked together to provide quality resources to learners, parents, and teachers in the past year. As communities worldwide rethink their approach to education, Outschool will continue to innovate and provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their passions.
Last year Techcrunch recognized Outschool as the newest EdTech unicorn. We've also been named Fast Company’s most innovative EdTech company in the world, and one of the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
Since 2015, Outschool has grown rapidly to become the leading marketplace for families around the world to discover uniquely enriching classes for their kids. The backbone of our marketplace is the ecosystem of products and features that enable thousands of educators to offer the most diverse set of live online classes on the web (over +100K live unique classes and growing).
We’re seeking an experienced Product Manager to grow and evolve the Educator supply on the Outschool marketplace. This is a great fit if you’ve previously had experience with marketplaces and are excited at the prospect of using these skills to enable more families to access great learning experiences for educators around the world.
We are the largest marketplace for live classes for K-12 learners globally, generating over $100M annual GMV. Empowering educators to bring together groups of learners to meet live online regularly presents some unique problems and opportunities. Your work may involve building new scheduling tools for families to get the right class at the right time, evolving our class formats to better support specific learning experiences, and the data-driven tuning of marketplace levers to drive our supply growth loops.
Alongside peers in Supply Ops, User Research, Analytics, Design, and Engineering, you will steer product discovery to help craft the vision, strategy, and roadmap for the team. The right candidate will have a strong track record of delivering impactful change within a complex interconnected product such as a large scale B2C marketplace.
You’ll be able to operate independently with your team to deliver great products, while also helping to level up the Product team as a whole. You may be a senior leader looking to get hands-on again at an earlier stage company, or you may be an early-stage specialist looking for an inspiring mission where you can have more impact.
At other companies, this role would be equivalent to a senior position. At Outschool we have decided to take an unconventional approach to titling that aligns with our values and is focused on impact above status. You can learn more about our titling philosophy here.
- Understand & articulate the supply dynamics that are driving our marketplace and how product can influence these to increase overall families learning on platform - this may mean addressing obstacles for educator success, features that influence educator behavior while balancing the experience and convenience of families
- Define and communicate a product strategy and roadmap for educator supply
- Own product execution, working closely with Engineering and Design to ensure fast, high-quality implementation and iteration
- Define and drive KPIs and metrics for your product area through iteration and experimentation
- Lead your pod and the larger team to improve our marketplace experience
- Bring others in by inspiring and enlisting the whole company to evolve how our marketplace works and our product development processes
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Track record of delivering major product initiatives at especially at marketplace companies; familiarity with the challenges that come with growth of both supply and demand sides of the marketplace
- Strong data skills - SQL proficiency and strong quantitative skills that let you use data to understand behavior, to inform decision making, and shape product strategy
- Full product lifecycle experience from ideation, planning and exploration through implementation, release and iteration
- Business acumen to define a product strategy that balances business and user experience goals, as well as resourcefulness and creative ability to come up with novel solutions
- Great interpersonal skills that allow you to shine when you’re talking with a customer or leading a cross-functional meeting
- Passion for empowering educators to be successful teaching learners on the Outschool platform
At Outschool, we believe that taking care of one another enables us to do our best work. To us that means:
• Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and investment plans that make saving for retirement easier.
• Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
• PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
• Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
• Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
• Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established charities and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to neurodiverse individuals, applicants with physical and mental disabilities, and disabled veterans. For individuals who would like to request an accommodation, you may reach out to us at email@example.com or through your Recruiting point of contact as you schedule your initial interview.
Benefits packages are included for full-time employees only.
Full-time employees must be a citizen or legal residents of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.
Once you submit your application, Outschool will process your personal data to evaluate your candidacy for employment. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, we hire employees only in the U.S. and Canada. Applicants else where should be aware that we may discard your application upon submission or we may ask if you would like us to retain it later should there be consideration (this is not typical at all). If you are selected for interviewing, your data will be shared with interviewers and personnel involved in that process. If not hired, your application will be retained for one year in case there is another suitable role. You may opt out of this at any time. Please see our Employee/Applicant Privacy Notice for more detailed information. If applicable, as you progress through the process, we will be clear about what information is being asked for and what happens with that information.