Pearson creates vibrant and enriching learning experiences, designed for real-life impact. Our English Language Learning division has an opportunity to make an impact in the test design and Innovation group. The Test Development group is responsible for designing reliable and valid language tests based on theories of linguistics and psychology, informed by an understanding of automatic speech recognition and natural language processing. We have an exceptional opportunity for a Research Scientist/Engineer who enjoysbuilding language models, training acoustic models, building statistical models for measuring the performance for new and existing products.
- Perform entire R&D cycle (building language models, training acoustic models, building statistical models for measuring the performance, etc.) for new and existing products that use ASR and automated grading
- Design new algorithms for different purposes (such as improving the grading performance)
- Perform data analysis for different requirements
- Proactively research ways to apply latest methodologies to improve the automated grading system’s capability, reliability and accuracy
- Maintain grading system
- Master's in computer science, Electrical Engineer or relevant areas with 1-3 years working experience; Ph.D. or ABD (all but dissertation) with graduation in plan preferred
Required experience will include:
- Strong desire to integrate research with product development and augment your research abilities with solid programming in C/C++ and proficiency with SQL, Perl (or Python) and Matlab (or R)
- Skilled knowledge of speech recognition, probabilistic systems, statistical models
- Strong background in statistical modeling and machine learning
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and apply a wide range of technologies
- Experience with linguistic and statistical analysis of natural language would be highly desirable
- Experience in designing and running ASR (Automated Speech Recognition) experiments using HTK or KALDI are a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The anticipated starting salary for candidates expressing interest in this position is $100-$110K. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program. Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
What to expect from Pearson
Did you know Pearson is one of the 10 most innovative education companies of 2022?
At Pearson, we add life to a lifetime of learning so everyone can realize the life they imagine. We do this by creating vibrant and enriching learning experiences designed for real-life impact. We are on a journey to be 100 percent digital to meet the changing needs of the global population by developing a new strategy with ambitious targets. To deliver on our strategic vision, we have five business divisions that are the foundation for the long-term growth of the company: Assessment & Qualifications, Virtual Learning, English Language Learning, Workforce Skills and Higher Education. Alongside these, we have our corporate divisions: Digital & Technology, Finance, Global Corporate Marketing & Communications, Human Resources, Legal, Strategy and Direct to Consumer. Learn more at We are Pearson.
We value the power of an inclusive culture and also a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to building a workplace where talent can learn, grow and thrive.
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We want a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or any other group protected by law. We strive for a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities.
If you are an individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career site as a result of your disability, you may request reasonable accommodations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that the information you provide will stay confidential and will be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Job: PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Organization: English Language Learning
Req ID: 11133