Senior Academic Advisor (Advisor II) - REMOTE
Haslam College of Business
The Haslam College of Business (HCB) Undergraduate Programs Office provides comprehensive academic advising services for approximately 7,200 undergraduate students. The college has a collaborative advising team focused on assisting students in developing and implementing sound educational plans consistent with their values and academic and career goals.
The Senior Academic Advisor (Advisor II) position is an exempt, 12-month, full-time, non-tenure track staff role that provides an exciting opportunity to be a part of UT’s strategic advising plan that integrates academic and career advising with self-exploration, leadership development, and experiential learning.
This position will work remote on a virtual modality basis, with some in-person/on-campus requirements for training and development.
The primary duties of the Senior Academic Advisor (Advisor II) are:
- Develop advanced knowledge and understanding of the HCB undergraduate curriculum, majors, minors, and collaterals/concentrations
- Guide students in the exploration of their goals, interests, strengths, values, and concerns through positive open-ended questions and intentional advising strategies
- Educate students about curricular requirements, academic standards, and academic milestones related to the business degree
- Collaborate with students throughout their undergraduate experience in developing academic plans that meet goals and future aspirations.
- Communicate effectively with assigned advisees and explain university and college academic policies and procedures
- Teach students how to evaluate degree progress
- Facilitate the petitioning process for students pursuing curriculum exceptions
- Utilize technology that supports advising practice (such as Banner, DARS, Navigate, other IT sources and internet programs, etc.)
- Conduct first-year and transfer student orientation advising sessions
- Teach sections of BUAD 210, a seminar course in the Haslam Leaders series curriculum, designed for internal and external transfer students
- Contribute to the programmatic needs of the college, through student support initiatives, program coordination, recruitment and outreach activities, campus and community partnerships, and assessment.
- Establish a professional development plan, in collaboration with supervisor
- Master’s degree required
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience working full-time in academic advising or related position at the college/university level
- Involvement in a professional association related to academic advising/student development
- Candidates must have the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the diversity and intercultural goals of the university.
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience working full-time in academic advising or related position at the college/university level
- Ability to relate to a diverse university community (students, faculty, staff, alumni, and families)
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic advising and student development theories and approaches
- Ability to utilize IT related to advising
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to handle simultaneous projects
- Ability to foster teamwork
For consideration, all applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume/CV, and the names and contact information of three references into the UT Human Resources application portal.
Job: Student Services
Primary Location: US-Tennessee-knoxville
Organization: Hcb Undergrad Program
Job Posting: Dec 22, 2022, 12:50:00 PM