A pioneer in K–12 education since 2000, Amplify is leading the way in next-generation curriculum and assessment. Our core and supplemental programs in ELA, math, and science engage all students in rigorous learning and inspire them to think deeply, creatively, and for themselves. Our formative assessment products help teachers identify the targeted instruction students need to build a strong foundation in early reading and math. All of our programs provide educators with powerful tools that help them understand and respond to the needs of every student. Today, Amplify serves more than 10 million students in all 50 states. For more information, visit amplify.com.
Amplify is a leader in creating immersive, rigorous digital learning experiences that look great, play great, and help students expect great things of themselves. Amplify has been described as the best tech company in education, and the best education company in tech.
As an engineer at Amplify, you will join a talented team tackling the toughest problems in education with the best ideas in technology – including user experience, APIs and services, data analysis, and deployment pipelines. You’ll play an active role in imagining and improving product design and the classroom experience.
“Amplify’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all staff to provide proof of vaccination for in-person meetings unless an approved exemption is provided.”
What You’ll Do
- Our data analytics teams ingest, transform, model, and aggregate the data that empowers teams across Amplify and our customers to make sense of and tell stories with their data. You’ll be working with data scientists, data analysts, and data engineers to provide clean, accurate, reliable models and metrics for our products and internal business partners.
- Impress the toughest customers around – students – by building the data models which drive the design cycle for fun and compelling apps, helping them understand their students by building modular data models
- Help school administrators build great schools by:
- respecting privacy and ensuring security while offering useful insights by making inquisitive choices in tech stack, database design, masking policies, and encryption
- helping school principals understand how teachers are teaching and how students are learning by architecting data warehouse schemas and SQL transforms with just the right CTEs, window functions, and pivots
- analyzing performance and squashing tricky bugs using tools like Snowflake, Airflow, DBT, SQL, Python, Looker, and Datadog
- Make life better for passionate, Marketing and Sales teams by building cohesive, common data marts from sources like Salesforce and HubSpot
Learn Every Day By
- immersing oneself in agile rituals and leveraging our infrastructure
- leading collaboration, pull request-ing, and mentoring on a multi-functional team
- participating in cross-team share-outs, brownbags, and workshop series
- becoming an expert in the data models and standards within Amplify and the educational industry in order to deliver quality and consistent solutions
Example Projects You Might Work On:
- Building well-tested and documented ELT data pipelines for both full and delta extraction
- Engineer novel dataset which expresses a students progress and performance through an adaptive learning experience which allows for flexible comparison across students and deep analysis of individual students.
- Work with data science to measure the impact of design changes to an administrator reporting application.
- Improve the build and query efficiency of data models constructed from a large volume of event stream data.
- Contributing to leading industry data standards, such as Caliper Analytics or xAPI
- Crafting slowly changing dimensional models that take into account the nuances of K-12 education such as School Year changes and students moving schools or classes.
Basic Requirements of the Senior Analytics Engineer:
- BS in Computer Science, Data Science, or equivalent
- 5+ years of professional software development or data engineering experience
- Strong CS and data engineering fundamentals
- Proven fluency in SQL and its use in code-based ETL frameworks such as dbt
- Understanding of ETL/ELT pipelines, analytical data modeling, aggregations, and metrics
- Knowledge of Data Warehousing design, tooling, and support
- Strong communication skills in writing and conversation
Preferred Requirements of the Senior Analytics Engineer:
- Fluency in a development language such as Python
- Familiarity with metadata management tools
- Experience building dashboards, reports, models in business intelligence tools such as Tableau or Looker
- Experience with tools we use every day:
- Storage: Snowflake, AWS Storage Services (S3, RDS, Glacier, DynamoDB)
- ETL/BI: Airflow, dbt, Matillion, Looker, Tableau
- Cloud Infrastructure: AWS Kinesis, Lambda, API Gateway, Terraform
- Experience with tools we don’t use, but should, Proven passion and talent for teaching fellow engineers and non-engineers
- Proven passion for building and learning: open source contributions, pet projects, self-education, Stack Overflow
- Experience in education or ed-tech
What we offer:
Salary is only one component of the Amplify Total Rewards package, which includes a lucrative 401(k) plan, incentive stock options, competitive health insurance and mental health options, basic life insurance, paid time off, parental leave, and access to best-in-class development programs. The gross salary range for this role is $120,000 - $130,000. This role is eligible to receive an annual discretionary bonus that rewards individual and company performance.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To that end, we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Amplify is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
This position may be funded, in whole or in part, through American Recovery & Reinvestment Act funds.
Amplify Education, Inc. is an E-Verify participant.