The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Senior Application Developer, Wharton Computing (Hybrid-Eligible)
Job Profile Title
Application Developer Senior
Job Description Summary
We are looking for a Research Developer to join the Wharton Research and Analytics team. Working closely with Wharton faculty and PhD students, you will be responsible for the development, monitoring, and maintenance of software solutions in support of business research. Specifically, you will build research applications across a broad array of research methods including behavioral experiments, data modeling, simulations, and the collection and analysis of both structured and unstructured data. You will manage your own projects working closely with the rest of the Research Programming team. Responsibilities include providing support, occasionally after business hours. You must ensure adherence to technical, quality assurance, data integrity, and security standards. From time to time, you might also be required to hire and manage external development resources on a project-by-project basis.
This position requires a devotion to teamwork, an eagerness to learn about different domains, and a passion for software development. In addition to the above, if you have senior-level experience, you will be responsible for project management, client communications, technical writing and applying best practices in various software development methodologies. You should be experienced with: version-control, automated testing, code reuse, code re-factoring, and programming frameworks. You will be responsible for coordinating your own projects, creating documentation, leveraging appropriate programming frameworks and for making sure there are automated tests for your work.
• BA/BS in Computer Science or related discipline and 3 to 5 years relevant work experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Creative problem solving skills and strong analytical skills required
• Demonstrated ability to learn new skills both technical and non-technical and the desire to continue doing so required
• Experience with cloud-based solutions like AWS's Lambda, and supporting frameworks like Serverless
• Solid knowledge about relational databases, NoSQL data stores, database design and querying required
• Recent demonstrated experience in needs assessment required
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work effectively within tight turnaround schedules required
• Excellent verbal, written and technical communication skills and interpersonal skills required
• Experience with modern MVC programming frameworks, advanced SQL, version control, automated testing required
• Experience with project management and client communications required
Preferred for all candidates:
• Ability to work under tight timelines while juggling multiple priorities
• Knowledge of basic statistical methods and tools a plus.
• Experience with AWS Glue, Athena and Spark
• Polyglot programming skills and open-source software contributions a plus
• Previous experience with academic research and statistical programming a plus
Job Location - City, State
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.
Department / School
$61,046.00 - $132,906.66
Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.