IT Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology. They perform development/programming, communications, technical support, and similar functions in their areas of expertise. Work may include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving problems in highly complex projects.
IT Senior Associates have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group. They demonstrate mastery of technology-related discipline(s) and decision-making ability in area(s) of expertise. They serve as a resource and contribute to policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full description is available on our web site at https://www.cuny.edu (search for “Classified Civil Service Job Descriptions”).
IT Senior Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Senior Business Intelligence (BI) Developer works collaboratively with end users to develop reporting systems that provide accessible information for decision-making. The Sr. BI Developer uses warehouse data to solve organizational problems through reports, analysis and data visualization. The BI Developer will provide enterprise wide data warehouse expertise with emphasis on data design, access, usage, security and quality of information assets. The Sr. BI Developer reports to the Director of Enterprise Applications and will be expected to work collaboratively with a cross-campus functional team.
The successful candiate will be required for the following:
- Data Modeling BI andoptimizedData Warehousing solutions
- Performs technical troubleshooting, code debugging, and problem solving for custom built data warehousing solutions
- Assists in implementing effective business analytics practices that drive improved decision making, efficiency and performance
- Communicates with nontechnical business users to determine specific business requirements for reports and business intelligence solutions
- Communicates regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity, security and optimized performance at the application and database level
- Identifies, communicates, and resolves data quality and data reconciliation issues
- Participates in and supports all planning and problem resolution
- Performs independent audits and reviews and validates databases to ensure data integrity
- Develops and enforces standards and procedures for the storage and retrieval of institutional data
- Works collaboratively with institutional staff and reporting officials to resolve data discrepancies and/or to clarify reporting procedures
- Maintains an accurate and comprehensive inventory of data, data systems, and data storage
- Processes data extracts using data retrieval and management tools
- Builds effective partnerships with coworkers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed
- Ensures optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information
- Establishes and maintains effective collaborative and cooperative working relationship with all segments of the University and its community
- Assists with other duties as assigned
- Protects confidential information
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
The following qualifications are preferred:
- A Baccalaureate degree in a relevant field is required, Masters in Computer Science, Data Analytics or related field is preferred
- 7 years in business intelligence and data warehousing environments
- MS SQL Server, Integration Services and Reporting Services required
- Strong TSQL scripting abilities and understanding of complex stored procedures, views, data aggregation/manipulation through table joins/queries, database design, normalization and de-normalization techniques
- Demonstrated experience in data extraction and manipulation, ETL techniques required
- Excellent knowledge of PowerBI for data visualization and analysis including use of M and DAX
- Working knowledge of analytical tools and platforms such as SSPS and R
- Possesses strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Expert Knowledge of SQL and data warehousing concepts
- Ability to use presentation, word processing, and database or spreadsheet software
- Demonstrated attention to detail on ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of the data warehouse and the individual work units
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge of BI areas including ETL design, analytics and reporting
- Possesses strong oral and written communication skills, clearly and accurately communicating complex and/or technical information to both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Self-motivated; able to work within a project based environment
- Ability to work in a team environment
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online at the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and naviaging to the following links: "Employment" and "Search Job Postings"
Please submit resume, cover letter and three professional references.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin September 5, 2022.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.