The Data Science team provides critical insights and tools to help the executive leadership team, technology teams, and business units optimize test delivery, test development, and test security. Our expertise is understanding a wide array of business problems and using a variety of techniques including data analysis, machine learning, and software engineering to create value from data and support decision making. We have a passion for data analysis, programming, applying new technologies, and building practical solutions. Our small, tight-knit, self-organized team of 6 Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers collaborates closely and uses creative problem solving to tackle difficult challenges for many of the organization’s strategic initiatives. We love having virtual happy hours and celebrating our accomplishments.
As a Data Scientist you will work with several product teams and other Technologists on a largely independent endeavor to track, understand, and tell the story of users as they come to our products. You will share much of your work directly with the CIO and Chief Architect. You bring a portfolio of skills that allows you to work with a variety of data sources, clean and munge data with varying levels of structure, perform analyses to derive insights, and communicate clearly through data visualization, writing and presenting. Your ability to understand the data and the concerns and narratives around that data put people at ease and allow you to address concerns head on. You are passionate about understanding stakeholders and leveraging data to support their needs. You relish the opportunity to bring your ideas, love of coding, data savviness, and business acumen to answer tricky questions.
In this role, you will:
Perform data exploration, analysis, and prototyping (80%)
- Ingest new data streams and integrate them with existing sources to deepen insights.
- Perform thorough exploratory data analysis and raise new questions.
- Create insights from existing data and drive the collection of new data.
- Independently manage and complete all the work needed to deliver small-sized applications and analyses on time and at a very high level of quality.
- Communicate methodology and results of advanced analyses using accessible language and intuitive data visualizations.
- Create reproducible, documented analyses and models that lend themselves to automation.
- Build tools that are used daily by those concerned with our users and their ability to access our products.
Communications & Stakeholder Engagement (20%)
- Assist in the identification and resolution of production issues.
- Independently learn about stakeholder concerns and observations.
- Communicate findings and assist stakeholders in interpretation of data and analyses.
- Share reports and tools that allow stakeholders to self-serve data and analyses related to recurring questions.
About you, you have
- Ideally a Master’s in a quantitative discipline or computer science, OR a bachelor’s and 1-2 years related experience, OR 3+ years related experience OR a great story to tell.
- Programming expertise in Python.
- Experience in data and statistical analysis, with a strong ability to interpret stakeholder concerns into analytical questions.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases.
- A passion for solving difficult problems creatively.
- Excellent communication and listening skills including helping others understand both problems and solutions.
- Strong data visualization skill and the ability to tell a story with data.
- Comfortable working with stakeholders across teams with a passion for helping your colleagues succeed.
- Some experience with operationalizing data science tools, such as dashboards, or models.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Our Benefits & Compensation:
College Board offers a strong compensation and benefits package that attracts top talent looking to make a difference in education.
- Our robust benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, paid parental leave, retirement benefits with a generous matching program, and more.
- We reward performance through annual bonuses and provide opportunities for salary growth over time through base compensation increases, merit raises and promotions.
- We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact. The salary range for a new employee in this position is $144,000 - $157,000. The salary offer of an individual candidate within this range is specific to their location and qualifications.
- Each salary offer is determined carefully using internal and external benchmarking and adjusting for the candidate’s location. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.
- As a self-sustaining non-profit organization with global impact, College Board offers a job that matters, a team that cares, and a place to learn, innovate and thrive!
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard
- We value learning and growth; we offer formal and informal ways to lead through your superpowers, sharpen your strengths, and meet your development goals
- Our high-performing engineers work with the latest technologies, so you will be constantly learning and sharpening your skills, enabling you to be industry-forward instead of left behind technologically