Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist for Customer Life Cycle Marketing to join our Data Science and Analytics team. In this role, you will work with big data sets, using deep statistical models, to drive actionable insights and tackle high impact business problems. You will be telling the story behind your insights -- painting a picture to our functional partners, explaining what the numbers are telling us, and recommending new marketing strategies, product changes, and A/B tests for implementation. As a guideline, you may expect to spend 80% of your time individually driving analyses and insights, and 20% mentoring other data scientists.
The Data Science & Analytics team at Course Hero is central to our functional organization, and heavily influences the strategy and tactics of our company’s roadmap. The Data Science & Analytics team is rapidly growing in order to generate more and more analytical insights to fuel Course Hero’s growth while giving directions to our product strategy. We are also constantly improving and innovating ways that Course Hero can use data to drive growth and strategic initiatives.
The charter for the Data Science and Analytics team at Course Hero is to focus on supporting the business and product teams with planning, tracking, measuring and enabling data-driven insights to support key decisions. The team will be building models and narratives around student and educator journeys, marginal value and utility, customer and asset lifetime value, inferred intent, behaviors, usage, trends, and economic demand curves powering content recommendations, pricing and other applied data science initiatives. This is a technically-engaged, high-visibility position leading analytics for varied stakeholders across business, operations, products, marketing and engineering.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact!
- Influence how we build a mission-driven, high-throughput data science and analytics organization, and contribute to our collaborative culture
- Establish data rigor, data integrity, accuracy, responsiveness and execution cadence across all data science and analytics programs
- Build frameworks and tools to automate ad-hoc and post-hoc analysis requests
- Help Machine Learning team with exploratory data analysis for enabling semantic search, customer segmentation model, fraud/spam detection models, document optimization and analysis to support applied machine learning across all product initiatives
- Create and implement machine learning models to support Course Hero products
- Mine structured and unstructured data platforms to understand customer attributes, user journeys, engagement with the products, and growth opportunities for our business
- Design and analyze A/B tests and propose innovative A/B testing techniques to help us learn about our millions of users and contents
- Propose strategic initiatives and goals to help our functional partners to achieve their goals and drive growth
- Effectively communicate data findings to internal and external team members
Are You Our Next Senior Data Scientist?
- 5+ years of working experience in Data Science and/or Analytics
- 2+ years of experience specifically to any of the following business domains: Customer Life Cycle Marketing, Product Marketing, or Digital Marketing
- Deep understanding of statistics and probability
- Hands-on experience in designing and evaluating experimentations: AB Testing, Quasi-Experimental Testing
- Skilled in predictive modeling, statistical modeling, machine learning modeling, and time series analysis/forecasting
- Practical experience with various methods of Acquisition Attribution Modeling
- Track record of delivering decision support models and quantitative analysis with actionable insights and high business impacts
- Hands-on technical skills in Python, SQL, Airflow, Tableau, and Linux/Shell scripting
- Experience with big data platforms and cloud computing such as AWS, Athena, BigQuery, and S3.
- Minimum Bachelor degree (MS or PhD degree preferred) in a scientific or quantitative field
- Knowledge and experience working with Amplitude or Google Analytics
- Experience working in EdTech, e-commerce, or user-generated content industry
- Familiarity with both Web-based & Mobile App platforms
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary, annual bonus, and RSUs
- Medical coverage, including full dental and vision
- Life and disability benefits
- 401(k) program (US) / retirement savings plan (Canada) with company match
- One month paid sabbatical after 5 years at the company
- Education reimbursement
- Professional development workshops & industry conferences
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Social responsibility program (volunteer time off and donation matching)
- Annual wellness stipend
- Monthly tech stipend
- Annual family planning stipend
- Monthly snack boxes delivered to your door
- Cell phone allowance
We are a virtual-first company and have employees dispersed throughout the United States and Canada. We have a market-based pay structure that varies by location. The base pay for this position is dependent on multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed below. You may also be eligible to participate in our bonus program and may be offered an equity award, benefits, and other types of compensation.
This role is eligible for hire in Vancouver (Canada), and Toronto (Canada).
For positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Other locations: IL, MA, NJ.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria. We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to learn how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Course Hero:
Course Hero is on a mission to help students graduate, confident and prepared. The online learning platform offers over 60 million course-specific study resources created by and for students and educators, as well as 24/7 tutor help. More than 65,000 verified college educators use Course Hero to collaborate with other faculty and share resources to hone new strategies for instruction. Everyday, students, educators and tutors help more than 20 million students make every study hour count.
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
Join us on our mission!