Our mission is to unlock human potential. We welcome you for who you are, the background you bring, and we embrace individuals who get excited about learning. Bring your experiences, your perspectives, and your passion; it’s in our differences that we empower the way the world learns.
About the Role:
As the Senior Director, Business Development, Rights & Licensing, you will be responsible for leading and managing business development and sales of Wiley content through rights and licensing and through alternative business models, such as corporate sales and custom products.
The Senior Director will work with the VP Market Operations, direct reports and stakeholders in publishing teams to develop and implement licensing business models, strategies and partnerships taking into account publishing and new product development at Wiley and markets around the world. This is a high-growth, high new-prospect area and this role is on the front line of identifying both new business models and new customers/partners for Wiley, including exploring and reporting on potential partnerships that could expand beyond typical licensing and print-based deals.
This Senior Director will manage and direct these revenue streams at a level required by senior management and at a level consistent with Wiley’s reputation now established. This person will be responsible for researching and reporting market intelligence, coordinating marketing efforts to maximize digital opportunities and motivating the team toward a customer focus and meeting financial goals.
Additionally, this person will work with the VP and direct reports to formulate overall strategies and objectives. As the Senior Director, you will set high standards for licensing of Wiley content, especially with regard to maximizing revenue, while minimizing risk. The Senior Director will also develop key digital rights licensing competencies and procedures that can be applied across divisions and in all locations by sales and business development colleagues in addition to the digital licensing teams.
The person in this position will be considered a digital licensing and digital business model expert and will be recognized both internally and externally as a leading licensing strategist and business expert with a highly sophisticated understanding of customer needs and competitors' offerings. This position will develop and implement new approaches to the sales process and will plan and execute licensing strategies for the largest and most complex accounts, clients or markets.
How you will make an impact:
- Strategic Planning & Financial Management:
- Develop and execute strategy plans for the exploitation of digital rights and IP throughout all Wiley divisions/territories.
- Coordinate and disseminate digital licensing strategy & activity across all divisions of Wiley.
- Research, prospect, target new revenue-generating opportunities.
- Monitor competitors, competitive trends and business models in the industry.
- Ensure alignment of team plans with overall Wiley publishing and marketing strategies.
- Forecast and achieve revenue targets; manage expenses related to T&E associated with business travel and business models.
- Negotiation & Licensing:
- Research, contact and pitch Wiley content to current customers and to prospects via face-to-face meetings, on the phone, via email and other campaigns.
- Negotiate deal terms and conditions based on industry standards, market knowledge and leveraging the inherent value of the Wiley content.
- Monitor and evaluate existing and prospective partners for potential deeper partnerships/acquisitions.
- Attend meetings to generate leads and maintain strong relationships with existing partners.
- Coordination & Communication:
- Internal: Report regularly to manager and other Rights and Wiley colleagues on activities and opportunities and progress toward financial and non-financial objectives.
- External: With regard to deals and contracts, troubleshoot and resolve any questions/problems arising with licensees, authors, others external to Wiley.
- Interact with senior management and publishing groups including ecommerce, marketing and editorial managers.
- Maintain accurate up-to-date account data in Wiley's various account management pipeline reports and databases.
- Develop and maintain advanced level knowledge of submission/deal/contract/payment systems and processes at Wiley.
- Leadership and Team Management:
- Effectively select, recruit and develop staff.
- Establish and communicate performance goals, objectives and standards, approve all deals and contracts.
- Appraise performance and recommend compensation actions.
- Train, develop, and supervise.
- Manage underperformance.
What we look for:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Multi-year business development, operational and negotiation experience.
- Proven track record of identifying and defining growth opportunities within a business or through consultancy, leveraging data and analytics to build a supporting business case for investment.
- Experience with digital licensing and digital business models that optimize sale and distribution of Intellectual Property is desirable.
- Experience working across multiple geographies/markets.
- Experience in management consulting, business strategy, strategic finance is desirable.
- Deep knowledge of digital business models and markets.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, presentation skills, listening skills, negotiating skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects / priorities at once.
- Excellent judgment and organization, planning and analytical skills to effectively develop the business to the existing and new accounts.
- Understands the importance of data flow, data integrity and business process efficiency, as well as the potential role technology could play to improve or enhance them.
- Understands and monitors digital business activities and processes which drive current and future financial performance and productivity; Utilizes this knowledge to develop improvement initiatives.
- A refined ability to assess information, draw implications and make meaningful recommendations on an appropriate course of action.
- Highly motivated.
- Able to work within a fast-paced, team oriented environment.
- Ability to think strategically and develop either on their own or in conjunction with other senior management an effective licensing plan.
- Ability to work both independently as well as in cross functional teams.
- Strong leadership skills and a strong results orientation.
- Proven ability to motivate and direct staff to achieve targeted objectives.
Enabling Discovery, Powering Education, Shaping Workforces.
We clear the way for seekers of knowledge: illuminating the path forward for research and education, tearing down barriers to society’s advancement, and giving seekers the help they need to turn their steps into strides.
Wiley may have been founded over two centuries ago, but our secret to success remains the same: our people. We are willing to challenge the status quo, move the needle, and be innovative. Wiley’s headquarters are located in Hoboken, New Jersey, with operations across the globe in more than 40 countries.
Wiley is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We evaluate all qualified applicants and treat all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or based on any individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Wiley is also committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
We are proud that our workplace promotes continual learning and internal mobility. Our values support courageous teammates, needle movers and learning champions all while striving to support the health and well-being of all employees, for example we offer meeting-free Friday afternoons allowing more time for heads down work and professional development.
We are committed to fair, transparent pay, and we strive to provide competitive compensation in addition to a comprehensive benefits package. The target base pay range for this position is $141,000 to $207,666. This range represents Wiley’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the base pay for this role at the time of posting. It is anticipated that most qualified candidates will fall within the range, however the ultimate salary offered for this role may be higher or lower and will be set based on a variety of non-discriminatory factors, including but not limited to, geographic location, skills, and competencies.
When applying, please attach your resume/CV to be considered.
Location/Division: United Kingdom; Massachusetts, USA; United States
Job Requisition: R2300700
Remote Location: Yes
US Target Base Pay Range: $141,000 - $207,666