Build the Future
McGraw Hill, the leading provider of digital and print educational solutions, is looking for a Senior Director of User Experience (UX). The UX leader drives the overall UX strategy for McGraw Hill School and leads a team of UX designers working on products designed for educators and learners from early childhood through high school. They will lead the growth, development and performance of the team by promoting collaboration, positivity, and exhibiting user experience discovery and delivery excellence. They are a UX visionary and leader and will be part of the Platform Senior Leadership Team.
How can you make an impact?
You will operate in an environment that requires excellent problem-solving skills, influence skills and exceptional team collaboration, facilitation, and communication skills. You must be energized by collaboration with cross-functional teams, including content experts, project managers, business managers, software engineers, and product marketing managers.
This position works closely and collaboratively with other leaders to ensure coordination of timelines and product deliverables; is a user experience champion that will help shape and inform the overall product strategy and then influence and sell the approach; and ultimately is responsible for the user experience of MHE School products and platforms. They must have deep customer empathy and that rare ability to champion the voice of the customer and advocate for the interests of the business at the same time.
This position can work remotely within the continental United States but can also be based in one of our McGraw Hill offices.
What you will be doing:
- Develop and execute a cross-discipline, cross-segment UX strategy for School. This includes understanding the current state across core, intervention and supplemental products and markets, and then defining short and long term plans to:
- Improve overall user experience in our current in-market products
- Develop and drive a strategy to unify diverse platforms such that educators and students can seamlessly navigate MH’s ecosystem of products
- Drive excellence in overall user experience, inclusive of content design and delivery and a growing focus on data and insights and how it impacts teaching and learning
- Deliver experiences that engage, inspire, and delight students and teachers.
- Defines and assembles the right UX roles and people to form, not just a department, but a team that is relentless in creating effortless and easy user experiences for students and teachers. Mentor, foster, and support intelligent innovation and risk taking in order to create an incredible customer experiences while supporting the overall product strategy and business objectives.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Product Research, Academic and Instructional Design, Learning Science, and development/agile teams.
- Partner closely with engineering and product leadership to ensure experience designs are properly implemented. Encourage close partnerships and collaboratin between digners and engineers, by modeling what good looks like.
- Understand the market and competitive landscape and drive a UX strategy that includes definition of success and ways to measure the effectiveness of design decisions, including both leading and lagging indicators, not limited to: usage growth, customer satisfaction, acquisition, and retention. Continuosly monitor and analyze to identify areas for improvement.
- Evaluates and provides guidance on product prototypes and layouts for optimum technical format selection and usability based on understanding of continuous research and customer feedback.
- Design and enforce best practices for user interface standards, system usability experience and GUI prototypes, HTML page design and management, and development methodologies that incorporate accessibility perspectives.
We're looking for someone with:
- Masters Degree in human-computer interaction, human factors engineering, information architecture, digital design, interaction design, or a related field
- 10+ years of progressive user experience design and research experience in software, web, and mobile environments. 5+ years of management experience.
- Knowledge in software usability principles and current trends and advances in interface design.
- Experience leading human-centered design approach with exorbitant amount of customer empathy.
- Extensive experience creating low and high fidelity journey maps, workflows, sketeches and design documentation, incorporating a variety of types of qualitative and quantitative user research, including behavior studies, contextual inquiries, card sorting, task analysis, ethonographic studies, and usability testing.
- Understand a target audience's needs and other motivating factors, and translate them into concepts for compelling interactions and experiences.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex problems in developing holistic solutions for product ecosystems. Able to influence key stakeholders.
- Experience building UX capabilities within direct team and in the broader organization.
- Impeccable organization and time/project management skills, as well as exceptional attention to detail and ability to manage multiple ongoing tasks. Must be able to maintain own work flow, produce results, and meet deadlines with limited supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially as they relate to presenting, articulating, and defending research and design decisions to different audiences.
- Experience in implementing accessibility/a11y and building related team skills.
How we Work: We are a company focused on continuous learning and growth. These five pillars are critical to our hyper-learning culture at McGraw Hill School.
- Big We: We respect one another and genuinely care about our teammates. We work best as one team, not in silos.
- Listening to Learn: We listen to one another and collaborate for success. We realize the capabilities of and trust our team members.
- Ask Learning Questions: We value differences of approach as opportunities for learning and growth. We seek to truly understand others.
- An Idea Meritocracy: We foster an inclusive environment where everyone feels comfortable speaking openly and having challenging conversations. The best idea should always win, regardless of origin.
- Creative, Innovative, & Emergent Thinking: We tackle challenging problems and make decisions in favor of the business. We are willing to innovate and not do things as they have always been done.
As an education company, we are proud to play our part by inspiring learners around the world. If you bring your curiosity, we will help you grow in a collaborative environment where everyone shares a passion for success.
The pay range for this position is between $190k-$215k annually, however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location. An annual bonus plan may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical and/or other benefits, depending on the position offered.Click here to learn more about our benefit offerings.