Lead Product Designer / Senior Product Designer
Location: Santa Clara, CA or New York, NY
Improve the education process and better the lives of millions of students through UX design.
Chegg’s culture celebrates leadership at all levels and does not discriminate based on job descriptions or titles. The culture is open, with our “fast feedback” system implemented to encourage transparency. You will be given the latitude to drive and stretch to deliver mutual goals.
Chegg is already a leader in online educational assistance, learning services, and digital textbook rentals. This position will help support various initiatives to improve outcomes with personalized learning experience to empower students through their learning journey.
The Chegg Learn group is the engine that makes Chegg go. At Chegg, design plays a critical part in how we build products. The Chegg UX team is a highly diverse group of passionate UX Researchers, Product Designers, and Content Designers who are driven to create great experiences for our students. We collectively own the performance of our work. We love to explore and grow within the UX field and reach out to influence the larger UX community.
What we're looking for
As a Senior Product Designer on the team, you will be responsible for designing the user experiences from discovery to delivery, and you will be evangelizing and representing the designs to the cross-functional team.
- Exceptional design ability: Have a fundamental understanding of design patterns for both web and mobile and possess a strong knowledge of responsive design principles. You should be excellent in interaction and visual design skills. Your day to day will include discovery work, conceptualizing new and updated workflows, generating concepts, prototyping various levels of fidelity, creating visual designs and specifications.
- Proven design process: Have a solid understanding of design process and how to apply and adapt it effectively to projects. Know how to distill user needs and business goals, and work from high level requirements to handing off final pixel perfect designs to engineering. Develop a thorough understanding of our users through research and tie their problems and needs to business impact. Know how to leverage qualitative and quantitative data to inform and validate design decisions.
- Strategic thinking and visioning: Think about the big picture and end-to-end flows. Know how to solve complex problems creatively. Able to influence product strategy by partnering with product and business leaders. Have passion and a skill for creating data-driven and user-centric product visions that help improve student and business outcomes.
- Solid communication: You are a solid communicator who evangelizes design and embraces feedback. Be able to articulate your design choices and communicate design principles and design thinking to non-designers. Know how to choose the right medium to communicate to the right audience at the right time.
- Collaborative: You will be in close collaboration with content designers, researchers, product leads, learning designers, engineers, etc. Help stakeholders and partners achieve their goals while being a tireless student advocate. Participate in the product definition process with the product leaders and cross-functional team.
- Fearless growth mindset: Able to challenge the status quo. Be proactive and reflective about work and personal growth. Have a perspective but listen to feedback. No big ego, when something surprises you, embrace it and learn from it.
- Self-direction and ownership: You will have a team of designers and other partners to support you. However, you should be confident in owning the end-to-end user experience of business critical initiatives from start to finish. You should be comfortable navigating through ambiguity, working autonomously and knowing when to seek for support.
- Thought leadership: Have an infectious passion for UX, knowledge and willingness to experiment with a variety of UX process techniques. Develop expert-level knowledge of competitive and complementary products and bring new ideas to the team.
- Add to culture: Help create the team we all want to be on. Teach what you know and help people share their knowledge.
- 4+ years as a User Experience or Product Designer.
- High degree of creativity and problem solving.
- Strong visual, conceptual and analytical skills.
- Exceptional understanding of fundamental design principles.
- Solid in thinking holistically to create a coherent product experience.
- Solid organizational, communication, and leadership skills.
- Experience with responsive designs for desktop-to-mobile products.
- Proficiency in design tools such as Figma.
- Experience creating prototypes of different fidelity to help communicate ideas effectively.
- Relentless attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate with and influence the larger team.
- Basic understanding of HTML/CSS.
- Experience in designing consumer-facing products.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Design or related field.
The pay range for this position is $76,829 - $190,243. The actual pay will vary based on geographic location, job requirements, professional experience, and other factors.
In addition, Chegg offers a comprehensive benefits plan for eligible employees, including medical, dental, vision, life and supplemental life insurance, short-and long-term disability, mental health support, parental leave, paid time off, volunteer time off, paid holidays, 401(k) with matching contributions, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account(H.S.A.) options, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, an Employee Referral Program, Tuition Reimbursement, andother benefits found at: https://www.chegg.com/about/working-at-chegg/benefits/
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student
shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, Chegg Writing, Chegg Internships, Thinkful Online Learning, and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
Chegg out our culture and benefits!
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer