Coursera can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity, assuming candidates have eligible working rights and a sufficient timezone overlap with their team. Our interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a remote-first company.
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 113 million registered learners as of September 30, 2022. Coursera partners with over 275 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
The Design & Research teams play a vital role in Coursera’s success. These teams are responsible for gathering learner & partner insights and translating them into recommendations that help Coursera achieve a seamless experience across its platform. These teams are divided down into three main areas: Growth & Discovery, Learner & Educator Experience, & Enterprise.
The experience of learning and transformation is inherently challenging. Your work as a designer will be to create simplicity from complexity and influence everything from the most micro-interaction to full-enterprise learning programs with thousands of employee learners. Our goal is to make education accessible to all and we need extraordinary designers to realize this.
- Work through design problems from beginning to end, translating research insights and high-level concepts into ideas that form delightful user experiences, then designing the workflows, visual design, and detailed interactions to execute them.
- Work through the initial ambiguous phases of the product design process, mapping business + customer needs to help define the vision and strategy for big bet ideas.
- Create experiences that drive business growth while being globally scalable, locally relevant, inclusive and equitable for all.
- Utilize qualitative and quantitative (metrics/ data) insights to inform design decisions.
- Partner with product managers, engineers, data scientists, content strategists, and researchers to create products from initial definition to shipping and beyond.
- Influence design decisions with cross-functional stakeholders and be an advocate for the customer.
- Balance prioritization and delivery across multiple projects, in a strategic Design Lead capacity.
- Lead by example. Coach less-experienced designers on best practices for design thinking, and raise the bar for the quality of design outcomes.
- 5+ years experience as a UX (User-Experience Designer)/ Product Designer
- Able to utilize effective communication and collaboration strategies with cross-functional partners; including PMs, engineering, other designers, and execs in evolving design proposals.
- Able to consider and rationalize the technical difficulty of different designs, finding ways to test concepts as simply as possible.
- Has experience building new products and conducting user research to inform MVP definition and development.
- Has the Core UX Design Skills required to facilitate design workshops, apply solution frameworks, create user flows, define IA, create wireframes, and create prototypes.
- Able to apply visual design skills while using a UI pattern library/design system.
- Able to design responsive, accessible web-based experiences. For mobile-design positions, able to design phone and tablet experiences.
- Experience with design and collaboration tools (eg: Figma, Miro and others).
- Experience working across multiple platforms web & mobile design, android & ios.
- Experience as a course instructor or teaching assistant.
- Experience leading design-thinking workshops.
- Able to design Right-to-Left experiences.
- Hybrid skill set across the design capabilities from UX design to visual design.
- Depending on the topic area you are interested in: experience designing for consumer SaaS product(s), enterprise products or consumer mobile.
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.