At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 57 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with global offices in Australia, India, Ireland, Türkiye, and the US. Learn more on ourcompany page
You’re an analytical problem-solver ready to put your skills toward purposeful work that has a global impact. You want to lead the way in innovation, exploring the latest technologies and finding new solutions. You thrive in a collaborative environment and are eager to work with and learn alongside the best in Product, Design, and Engineering.
About this role
We are looking for an exceptional product leader to help millions of consumers, employees and managers find the right learning product to develop the professional skills of the future. The scale of the product discovery challenge is huge. We have 213k courses used by 57 million learners and 13 thousand businesses, across 4 product lines in 75 languages around the world. Search is the primary way that learners seek to find specific learning experience to develop a skill or solve a problem.
Success in this role requires collaboration with machine learning, design, engineering, marketing and other key functions across time zones spanning from San Francisco to Turkey. The leader must have a strong user orientation, analytical background, machine learning experience and demonstrated record of delivering business results.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead the product strategy and priorities for Udemy’s search frontend, backend and machine learning solutions across our product lines on web and native. Define our search vision, strategy, key problems to solve, and opportunities to win
- Strong command of industry and technical trends in search, natural language processing and machine learning.
- Collaborate with data science, design, and engineering to brainstorm and design appropriate solutions. Work with other product teams to drive an aligned product strategy. Drive cross-functional collaboration to deliver successful products and/or features. We are a global matrix organization, and connecting the dots is a critical skill.
- Set and meet business targets and deliver against corporate priorities
- Deeply understand learner needs and how to uncover them through behaviors and data.
- Build team culture and processes that aid effective and speedy product development
- Design, launch, and analyze experiments that solve user problems and deliver business results
What you’ll have:
- BA/BS required, ideally in a technical field
- 3+ years of product management experience shipping search products at scale that include machine learning, backend, and frontend components
- 3+ years working with machine learning engineers, data scientists and backend engineers
- Strong intuition on customer problems and needs. User-centered, design-thinking mindset with an ability to bridge technical and business worlds
- Incredibly strong problem solving abilities and solution-oriented mindset; when you run into a brick wall you can quickly come up with 10 different ways to run around it
- Exceptional ability to work cross team and effectively communicate with remote teams in Content, Marketing, PR, Design, Product, and Engineering
- Clear, pro-active, and confident communicator able to bring people along at all levels of an organization
- Strong disposition for data-driven product development; ability to write SQL queries (or similar) and do independent data analysis
- Familiarity with backend data products, such as Elastic Search,
- Experience applying agile development methodologies to data product development
- Passion about the education space and the problems we are solving
- Comfortable collaborating with local and remote product and engineering teams (San Francisco and Turkey)
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
- We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
- Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
- Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
- We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work. Learn more about our certificationhere and find out what it's like to work at Udemy onour blog.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Eligibility: Regular, full-time employees are eligible for Udemy’s benefit programs.
Health plans: Medical, dental, and vision coverage (100% coverage for employee-only).
HSA/FSA/Commuter: Pre-tax savings/spending plans available; generous HSA employer contributions for those enrolled in the HDHP medical plan.
Life/Disability: Employer-paid life insurance (supplemental available), in addition to short-term and long-term disability.
Retirement: Access to 401(k) with annual employer contribution.
Wellbeing: Corporate memberships for meditation and mindfulness, therapy and coaching, financial planning, primary care, tele-health, health advocacy, parent/newborn support, and employee discounts.
Education: Free access to the entire course library on the Udemy and Udemy Business platforms; annual stipend for external learning beginning at six months of employment.
Charitable matching program: Employer match of monetary contributions to eligible nonprofits and charities that carry a 501(c)(3) tax status (up to $100 per year).
Vacation: 15 days per year of Paid Time Off for hourly; flexible Discretionary Time Off for salaried.
Parental benefits: up to 12 weeks of leave at 100% pay for parents who take time off from work following the date of birth, adoption, or foster placement beginning at six months of employment; this amount is in addition to pregnancy-disability benefits at 100% pay, if applicable; a $25,000 lifetime benefit for reimbursement of eligible fertility, adoption, and surrogacy expenses; and access to Maven for unlimited virtual support for family building, prenatal and postpartum, menopause, parenting, and breastmilk shipping.
Holidays: 11 paid holidays throughout the year.
Would you like to learn more about Udemy? Here are a few resources:
The hiring range for this position is $110,000 - $189,200. Actual compensation is based on several factors, including but not limited to job-related skills, qualifications, experience, and specific work location due to differences in the cost of labor. In addition to a base salary, this role is also eligible for benefits and equity.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired into our offices in Colorado.