The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for analysis, design, implementation, and unit testing to produce high-quality code for a project team responsible for supporting a number of cutting edge assessment technology platforms. They will use industry best practices while working in a team of high-performing professionals. They are also responsible for maintaining and supporting mission-critical applications as necessary.
This requisition is part of the Pearson/MZD team, which develops innovative assessment technology platforms. One of the team’s primary responsibilities is supporting a number of technology platforms that deliver exams to test takers, score and report results. We are now in the midst of building our next generation assessment platform, which is a multi-year project with enormous strategic value, leveraging state of the art technologies and processes. We are looking for outstanding candidates to bolster the staff of this critical project.
The Pearson/MZD development team is comprised of a small group of inspired developers that thrive on developing cutting edge applications, with a passion for innovation and pride in producing excellent user experiences. Our work environment is collaborative, casual, flexible, agile and results driven. Since the business provides a mission-critical service to a demanding set of clients, high-quality performance is required to meet customer expectations.
The Senior Software Engineer will:
- Provide engineering leadership on a dynamic assessment reporting system
- Implement & Perform - Implement designs following Pearson coding standards and industry best practices
- Analyze & Design - Ensure business and requirements artifacts are created that effectively model the customer's requirements. Use tooling and best practices to create design models from requirements
- Review - Participate in and lead requirements, design and code reviews
- Test & Deployment - Work closely with other teams (e.g., QA, configuration management, end users) to release high quality software. Create testable requirements and write and execute unit tests
- Quality/process improvement - Participate in group improvement activities and initiatives to improve process and product quality in pursuit of excellence
- People development – Mentor and train new team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline
- 5+ years relevant software development experience creating SaaS applications
- Experience with development, maintenance, and testing of software following industry best practices
- Experience with highly available, highly concurrent web-based applications
- Experience with GIT or similar VCS tools
Current Tech Stack:
- AWS hosted applications
- 5+ years experience working in an agile environment
- Experience leading software automation workflows to remove human dependencies in critical business processes
- Desire to expand knowledge in many development languages, applications, and tools
- Quickly learn new processes and tools, business domains and technical applications
- Able to think technically and analytically
- Ability to understand the philosophy of architecture
- Must assimilate information, distill knowledge, apply experience and provide solution alternatives and recommendations
- Must have strong time management skills - including the ability to work well under pressure, plan, set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timelines
- Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within a team
Experience with some or all of the following is considered a bonus:
- QTI (Question & Test Interoperability)
- Common K-12 reporting frameworks such as (Ed-fi and Caliper)
Compensation at Pearson is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific location. As required by the Colorado, California, Washington State, New York State and New York City laws, the pay range for this position is as follows:
The minimum full-time salary range is between $90k - $130k.
This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, and information on benefits offered is here
.What to expect from Pearson
Did you know Pearson is one of the 10 most innovative education companies of 2022?
At Pearson, we add life to a lifetime of learning so everyone can realize the life they imagine. We do this by creating vibrant and enriching learning experiences designed for real-life impact. We are on a journey to be 100 percent digital to meet the changing needs of the global population by developing a new strategy with ambitious targets. To deliver on our strategic vision, we have five business divisions that are the foundation for the long-term growth of the company: Assessment & Qualifications, Virtual Learning, English Language Learning, Workforce Skills and Higher Education. Alongside these, we have our corporate divisions: Digital & Technology, Finance, Global Corporate Marketing & Communications, Human Resources, Legal, Strategy and Direct to Consumer. Learn more at We are Pearson.
We value the power of an inclusive culture and also a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to building a workplace where talent can learn, grow and thrive.
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We want a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or any other group protected by law. We strive for a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, navigate to: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Pearson.
If you are an individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career site as a result of your disability, you may request reasonable accommodations by emailing email@example.com.
Note that the information you provide will stay confidential and will be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process. Job:
Assessment & QualificationsSchedule: