Encoura is transforming the way students connect with opportunities as they move through high school into post-secondary opportunities. Our mission is to empower students and institutions to create meaningful connections so students can make the most informed decisions to achieve their goals. Most recently, the company has evolved its product technology stack and services to better address the future path of students enabling easy connectivity to their opportunities.
Our Encoura platform provides custom technology solutions that combine Eduventures’ research, data science, strategic enrolment and multichannel marketing services to over 2,000 higher ed institutions. The company also offers the Encourage™ mobile app for students—the nation’s largest free college and career planning program used by millions of high school students and educators nationwide.
Encoura’s success is directly a function of talent. We are serious about hiring the best talent possible in creating our crew that is incredibly passionate and dedicated to building the next-gen ecosystem of systems and products that will improve the student experience across the entire college and career planning lifecycle.
We are looking for an experienced hands-on Software Engineer to join a small, distributed team of engineers. You’ll work closely with Engineering and Product Leadership as you build your craft alongside other developers in small scrum teams. You will bring a continuous improvement mentality to the role, always on the lookout for ways to make things better across the company and within your own scope of responsibility.
A day in the Life of a Software Engineer
- Working with Engineering and Product Team leads, propel the team through agile development of web apps, mobile apps, libraries, and frameworks, connecting with graphQL microservices.
- As a Software Engineer, you’ll be very involved in the overall design of the system you’re working on while learning our existing technical stacks.
- Collaborate within your team while attending grooming sessions and assisting others as needed to move the team forward.
- Promote a work environment that is highly collaborative and team-centric.
- Enhance, refactor, and continuously improve the codebase.
- Keep management informed of project progress and problems, particularly as to needed changes in schedule, resources, or product scope.
- Communicate effectively with technical and non-technical people.
- In your 1st month, you will be learning about our business, processes, and recommended tech stack. You will immediately be working hands-on with our technology and getting to know your team.
- Within 3 months, you will be participating in planning & development activities and beginning to look at infrastructure designs, CI/CD pipelines and carrying out code reviews for the team.
- Within 6 months you should be taking ownership of the application architecture, production troubleshooting, working on cross-portfolio projects and releasing software with the team.
- Within 1 year you will be fully immersed in the SDLC, providing technical assistance to your team and building bulletproof products while actively engaging in process optimization.
- You hold a BS in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or equivalent work experience. A relevant Master’s degree is a plus.
- You have 2+ years experience building software applications understanding the full scope of the app including the front and back- end topology.
- You have 2+ years experience working with Microsoft’s .NET stack to develop web and system applications.
- You are experience with Docker and setting up local dev environments.
- You have a presence on Github with your own portfolio of projects to share and demonstrate.
- You’re used to working in an iterative-based development environment using Agile/Scrum/Sprints.
- Experience working with GraphQL (Apollo), NodeJS and preferably using a framework such as NestJS a plus.
- Experience building web applications with React, Material UI, NextJS, and Typescript a plus.
- You are always thinking, “what happens if this fails?”
- You are opinionated about software architecture.
- You’re an excellent, collaborative team player with the communication skills to match.
- You are passionate about getting the job done well even under time pressure and thrive in a demanding environment.
- Demonstrated proactivity in capitalizing on opportunities and resolving issues.
- Intellectually curious – prepared to challenge and be challenged.
- Constantly striving to learn new technologies and look for ways to stay up to date in this rapidly changing industry.
What sets us apart?
- Mission driven culture
- Paid holidays and generous PTO policy
- Generous benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Life and Disability, HSA, FSA,
- Tuition Reimbursement, and 401k
- Casual dress
- Collaborative and energetic work environment with other motivated, career-driven professionals