Wolfram, creator of Mathematica, Wolfram|Alpha and Wolfram Language, is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Software Engineer to join its Cloud Development department. This Software Engineer will be responsible for maintaining and improving our cloud storage backend. Current areas of prioritization include the performance optimization of reading, writing and updating existing cloud objects and improving long-term scaling of our storage.
About the Wolfram Cloud: Natively running Wolfram Language, the Wolfram Cloud makes every aspect of cloud operations programmable—introducing an unprecedented level of integration, flexibility, simplicity and power into a new generation of cloud technology. Its notebook interface offers the preeminent environment for any technical workflows—data science, modeling, research and education—empowering users with literate programming, easy-to-author interactivity and universal deployment across all platforms.
You can learn more about the Wolfram Cloud at https://www.wolfram.com/cloud.
- Maintaining, improving and optimizing existing REST endpoints for working with files
- Expanding and improving our existing test automation framework and overall test coverage for the Wolfram Cloud backend
- Reviewing database-related changes for possible performance issues
- Researching and identifying potential new technologies and making recommendations to the larger Wolfram Cloud team
- Analyzing existing data-storage usage trends for potential performance issues and areas for optimization
- Bachelor’s degree (or a foreign equivalent) in computer science, engineering, math, physics or a related technical or quantitative field
- 2+ years of professional experience as a backend engineer preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Extensive experience using Git
- Experience with Java or a similar language
- Experience with various types of databases, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL and Redis
- Interested in growing your knowledge and skills for provisioning and configuring test environments using technologies like Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes and AWS
- Ability to learn and use Wolfram Language
Location: Champaign, Illinois, or remote
Wolfram is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at its company. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.