Inspired by our belief that anyone can learn anything and powered by our own curiosity, we build the smartest tools we can imagine to help students learn.
Quizlet is the popular, global learning platform and app that millions of students, teachers and everyday people use to study any subject imaginable for school, work or as part of their personal interests -- including two-thirds of high school students and half of all college students in the US. Combining cognitive science and machine learning, Quizlet guides students through adaptive study activities to confidently reach their learning goals. We’re on track to become the undisputed leader in user-generated learning content and engagement, at the scale of YouTube.
Valued at $1 billion, Quizlet has raised over $60 million in venture capital from investors including Icon Ventures, Union Square Ventures, General Atlantic, Costanoa Ventures, Owl Ventures, and Altos Ventures.
To serve our global community of learners, our teams tackle lofty technical challenges and design for use cases across cultures and languages. We work hard, act like owners, and collaborate every chance we get. We’re energized by the potential to power more learners through multiple approaches and various tools.
Study Mobile Team
The Study Mobile team works on the core study experience for Quizlet including all study modes and the set page. We build and maintain features to help students master their content and reach their learning goals.
About the Role:
We’re looking for an experienced and passionate iOS engineer to join the iOS platform team. You will be a core contributor to the code base, and you will also help mentor other engineers and have a large influence on important technical decisions. Our team is cross-functional, so you will work closely with members from Product, Design, Data Science, Data Analytics, Product Support and User Research to iterate on the Quizlet iOS app.
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to plan, develop, test, and release features and understand their impact on business metrics
- Advocate for best practices that improve the product and developer experience
- Mentor junior iOS engineers
- Refactor Swift and legacy Objective-C code to improve the developer experience as well as the app’s performance
- Lead and contribute to projects that improve Quizlet’s iOS app from the product backlog or from the iOS platform backlog of investment projects
- Occasionally write multi-platform code in Kotlin to support features on all Quizlet platforms (i.e. iOS, Android, and Web)
What you bring to the table:
- 4+ years of experience building iOS applications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Apple frameworks (e.g. UIKit, Foundation, StoreKit)
- Experience leading projects
- Proficiency with Swift
- Experience with CS fundamentals, software design patterns and data structures
- Proficiency writing unit tests and testable code
- Ability to collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team to solve problems through experimentation
- Experience building high-quality native apps published on the app store
- Ability to give technical presentations on architecture and other engineering topics
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers around the world every day
- Proficiency with Git
- Experience with in-app purchases and/or subscriptions
Bonus points if you:
- Have 2+ years of experience with Kotlin multiplatform programming
- Teach, tutor, or mentor others at work or outside of work
- Have experience successfully advocating architecture improvements to multidisciplinary stakeholders
- Are proficient with implementing architectural patterns like MVVM and/or others into existing code bases
- Have contributed or improved continuous integration processes with systems like CircleCI or Jenkins using Python or Ruby
- Have experience with reactive programming frameworks like Combine or RxSwift
- Have kept yourself up to date with the latest iOS ecosystem news and libraries
Compensation, Benefits & Perks:
- Quizlet is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Salary transparency helps to mitigate unfair hiring practices when it comes to discrimination and pay gaps. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a starting base salary of $123,000 - $170,000, depending on location and experience, as well as company stock options
- Collaborate with your manager and team to create a healthy work-life balance
- 20 vacation days (and we expect you to take them!)
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (100% employee and 75% dependent PPO, HMO, VSP Choice)
- Employer-sponsored 401k plan with company match
- Access to LinkedIn Learning and other resources to support professional growth
- Paid Family Leave, FSA, HSA, Commuter benefits, Wellness benefits
- 40 hours of annual paid time off to participate in volunteer programs of choice
We strive to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome!
We work to create a holistic interview process, where both Quizlet and candidates have an opportunity to view what it would be like to work together, in exploring a mutually beneficial partnership.
We provide a transparent setting, that gives a comprehensive view of who we are!
We hope you are excited about everything you read so far. We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. Quizlet is always looking for amazing folks that believe in our mission and can contribute to our team in various ways - not merely candidates that fit a certain mold.
We have a bias for action, take initiative, and take pride in delivering results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do.
We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!
To All Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
At this time Quizlet does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and/or profiles.
Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Quizlet employee. Quizlet will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm nor will it be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. All unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Quizlet.