Inspired by our belief that anyone can learn anything and powered by our own curiosity, we build the smartest tools we can imagine to help students learn.
Quizlet is the popular, global learning platform and app that millions of students, teachers and everyday people use to study any subject imaginable for school, work or as part of their personal interests -- including two-thirds of high school students and half of all college students in the US. Combining cognitive science and machine learning, Quizlet guides students through adaptive study activities to confidently reach their learning goals. We’re on track to become the undisputed leader in user-generated learning content and engagement, at the scale of YouTube.
Valued at $1 billion, Quizlet has raised over $60 million in venture capital from investors including Icon Ventures, Union Square Ventures, General Atlantic, Costanoa Ventures, Owl Ventures, and Altos Ventures.
To serve our global community of learners, our teams tackle lofty technical challenges and design for use cases across cultures and languages. We work hard, act like owners, and collaborate every chance we get. We’re energized by the potential to power more learners through multiple approaches and various tools.
About the Team:
The Memorize and Practice group uses Machine Learning and AI driven technologies to make the learning experience fun and impactful. The team's goal is to expand Quizlet from a US-focused company with 50M active users to a global education platform serving the world's 1.4B student population.
About the Role:
We're looking for a Staff Fullstack engineer to help us improve our learning experiences. This will include making constant improvements to our current platform, which is built upon modern tools like React, NextJS, Hack, and Spanner.
This is a hybrid role based out of our San Francisco office.
In this role, you will:
- Build user-facing features and ship experiments using React/Redux
- Develop server-side code using Hack
- Collaborate with other engineers to design and implement APIs
- Build automation and abstractions (such as reusable UI components) to improve development speed
- Architect and implement data fetching and state management systems on the front end
- Work with product designers to iterate on the design and implementation of our product
- Identify and implement performance improvements to our website
- Participate in design, code, and architecture reviews
- Observe user testing to understand and improve usability
- Investigate new technologies that may be of use to the team
- Design A/B tests to learn and improve new user experiences through data driven decision making
- In collaboration with the data science and machine learning teams, design and build power-user features to add to our premium offerings
- Designing and building RESTful APIs to facilitate communication between different software components, services, or applications
- Analyzing and improving the performance of software applications by optimizing code, database queries, and overall system architecture
- Leading the development of user interfaces and user experiences for applications to enhance usability, accessibility, and user engagement
What you bring to the table:
- 7+ years of experience building rich, interactive web applications
- Experience working with server-side code and microservices - we use Hack, Node.js, and Python and relational databases
- Demonstrated ability in system architecture and design, understanding of design patterns, and ability to solve complex technical design challenges, with attention to scalability and performance concerns
- Experience leading projects from inception to completion
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to mentor junior engineers
- An aptitude for experimentation demonstrated by being hypothesis-driven, metrics focused, and eager to test and iterate
Compensation, Benefits & Perks:
- Quizlet is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Salary transparency helps to mitigate unfair hiring practices when it comes to discrimination and pay gaps. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a starting base salary of $180,000 - $230,000, depending on location and experience, as well as company stock options
- Collaborate with your manager and team to create a healthy work-life balance
- 20 vacation days (and we expect you to take them!)
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (100% employee and 75% dependent PPO, HMO, VSP Choice)
- Employer-sponsored 401k plan with company match
- Access to LinkedIn Learning and other resources to support professional growth
- Paid Family Leave, FSA, HSA, Commuter benefits, Wellness benefits
- 40 hours of annual paid time off to participate in volunteer programs of choice
We strive to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome!
We work to create a holistic interview process, where both Quizlet and candidates have an opportunity to view what it would be like to work together, in exploring a mutually beneficial partnership.
We provide a transparent setting, that gives a comprehensive view of who we are!
We hope you are excited about everything you read so far. We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. Quizlet is always looking for amazing folks that believe in our mission and can contribute to our team in various ways - not merely candidates that fit a certain mold.
We have a bias for action, take initiative, and take pride in delivering results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do.
We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!
To All Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
At this time Quizlet does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and/or profiles.
Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Quizlet employee. Quizlet will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm nor will it be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. All unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Quizlet.