We believe in the power and joy of learning
At Cengage Group, our employees have a direct impact in helping students around the world discover the power and joy of learning. We are bonded by our shared purpose – driving innovation that helps millions of learners improve their lives and achieve their dreams through education.
Our culture values diversity, engagement, and discovery
Our business is driven by our strong culture, and we know that creating an inclusive and diverse workplace is absolutely essential to the success of our company and our learners, as well as our individual well-being. We recognize the value of diverse perspectives in everything we do, and strive to ensure employees of all levels and backgrounds feel empowered to voice their ideas and bring their authentic selves to work. We achieve these priorities through inclusive programs, benefits, and initiatives that are integrated into the fabric of how we work every day. To learn more, please see https://www.cengagegroup.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity/
The Strategic Account Manager (SAM) is a senior level, field-based sales position, responsible for proficiency in sales techniques and considered an authority on company products/services. The SAM also ensures successful implementation and delivery of Cengage solutions and services with Cengage Unlimited Institutional customers, that results in the appropriate receipt of contracted revenue, per deal terms. Sales calls will be at the instructor and/or director of education level, but also at the owner/operator level of business-to-business selling. In coordination with sales management, digital sales professionals, and Business Development Directors (BDDs), the rep will plan, prioritize and implement selling strategies in a territory to achieve revenue and unit targets for our entire product line, including digital materials. They will build relationships, as well as present and promote Cengage products to all customers.
What you'll do here:
- Plan, organize, and prioritize sales strategies/plans to reach or exceed sales targets.
- Generate realistic sales opportunities for both our installed business and new business takeaways.
- Build strategic plans for high value opportunities, including sales campaigns and digital presentations.
- Responsible for ensuring revenue to forecast, retention, and upsell for Cengage Institutional (“CUI”) contracts.
- Lead internal project management, Key Account DSS, field sales, inside sales, and integration team, and hold the team accountable for delivering within scope for CUI
- Lead customer “kickoff” calls and ensure that customers understand the resources available in, and how to use, the Cengage Customer Success Portal!
- Serve as the central point of contact with executive-level partners within the institution, and maintain consistent contact via in-person visits, phone calls, email, and video conferencing
- Close renewals by working with customers, internal sales and commercial operations team to structure and negotiate long-term, high value contracts that meet Cengage and Customer financial and business objectives
- Negotiate Master Services Agreements with Institutions who agree to partner with Cengage in a contractual relationship.
- Maintain and renew Cengage Unlimited Institutional partnerships, with a focus on expansion where contract is not currently all-in
- Negotiate annual price increases in multi-year contracts to establish growth
- Draw implications relevant to the customer’s growth strategy that position Cengage favorably, prepare sales presentations, and effectively present how Cengage offering impacts customer metrics or needs in a compelling manner
- Apply planning process for development of Territory Business Plan to increase market penetration of team resources and optimize sales calls
- Implement strategic plans to coordinate selling efforts across career college chains
- Develop and maintain Account Plans for each institution, using CRM system and database tools in order to do so
- Represent all subject lists across a school, including the transition to digital technology from current print adopters
- Incorporate Digital selling strategies into all sales calls when it fits customer needs
- Attend conventions and evaluate in-person sales opportunities as appropriate
- Review sales and sampling reports to impact cost-effectiveness of sales process
- Manage territory level expense allotment in partnership with leadership
- Update and maintain customer database
Skills you will need here:
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent work experience
- 4 - 5 years field sales experience; with a preference in B2B sales and demonstrated history of consistent goal achievement
- Demonstrated use of Consultative Selling Skills framework
- Proven experience marketing products or services that impact a customer's core business
- Understand basic contract terminology and work effectively with internal and external partners to develop contracts
- Proficiency using and selling technology products to win and close business
- Strong financial analysis and problem-solving skills, and able to build and analyze business models
- Outstanding executive presentation skills, with ability develop and deliver impactful customer focused presentations
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive relationships with established customers for long term, resulting in consistent, repeatable business
- Strong negotiation skills and comfortable strategizing to obtain client commitment to price increases, minimum volumes, and an annual revenue partnership
- Ability to analyze, coordinate, and prioritize work while meeting multiple deadlines, under pressure
- Strong level of business financial acumen
- Proficient use of technology communication tools
- Prior publishing sales experience preferred
- 40% to 50% overnight travel required. Must be able to travel by both auto and air
Cengage Group's Higher Education business, Cengage, supports learning and student success by providing materials and digital solutions to faculty and students enrolled in two-year, four-year and vocational programs. We currently serve more than 10 million of the 18 million students in US higher ed. Setting a new standard of service for our customers, we deliver quality, easy-to-use course materials from textbooks and eBooks to courseware such as MindTap and WebAssign. In the US, we offer Cengage Unlimited and Cengage Unlimited for Institutions. We help instructors be better teachers, we help institutions solve problems and we empower students to leverage the power and joy of learning to transform lives.
Cengage Group is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, parental status, cultural background, organizational level, work styles, tenure and life experiences. Or for any other reason. You may view Cengage’s EEO/Affirmative Action Policy signed by CEO Michael Hansen
and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice
by visiting their corresponding links.
Cengage Group is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or you may call us at +1 (617) 289-7917.
About Cengage Group
Cengage Group, a global education technology company serving millions of learners, provides affordable, quality digital products and services that equip students with the skills and competencies needed to be job ready. For more than 100 years, we have enabled the power and joy of learning with trusted, engaging content, and now, integrated digital platforms. We serve the higher education, workforce skills, secondary education, English language teaching and research markets worldwide. Through our scalable technology, including MindTap and Cengage Unlimited, we support all learners who seek to improve their lives and achieve their dreams through education.
Base Pay Range
The full base pay range has been provided for this position. Individual base pay will vary based on work schedule, qualifications, experience, internal equity, and geographic location. Sales roles often incorporate a significant incentive compensation program beyond this base pay range.
$63,800.00 - $102,100.00 USD