Unleash YOUR Potential With Us
As a next-generation public research institute, we are an inclusive community of thinkers, doers, creators, innovators, healers, and leaders striving to shape the future and solve the world’s most challenging problems. No matter what your role is, when you join Knight Nation, you’ll play an integral role in pushing us forward to become among the most impactful universities in the country. You’ll be met with opportunities to connect and collaborate with uniquely talented faculty, staff, and students across 13 colleges and multiple campuses and regional locations. That means greater challenges to tackle, more meaningful opportunities to grow, and rewarding experiences that go beyond a paycheck. We’re seeking qualified, motivated individuals who will help UCF fulfill its mission in unleashing the potential of every individual, enriching the human experience through inclusion, discovery, and innovation; and propelling broad-based prosperity for the many communities we serve.
UCF IT is an impressive multi-departmental organization that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion while achieving the highest standards of the UCF Creed – integrity, scholarship, community, creativity, and excellence. Being one of the largest university divisions (that includes multiple area campuses), UCF IT prides itself on being able to adapt and conform to the growing changes at one of the nation’s largest metropolitan universities.
UCF Information Technology (UCF IT) is seeking a Systems Engineer III to join the Linux team and apply their technical expertise to design and build Linux systems for researchers.
As part of the Linux team, your duties will include providing the most advanced level of Linux system administration for the university.
- Researches, implements, operates, and secures systems that support infrastructure, and information security. Performs system architecture and design, system administration, and system security. Builds and maintains servers and integrates with departmental systems.
- Provides the most advanced level of Linux system administration for the university. This includes daily tickets and various projects that include: OS patching, storage management and controls, updating users/access, and other standard System Administration duties.
- Ability to design, document, estimate, configure and install Linux systems/topologies. This includes tasks on university devices such as desktops and servers. Operating systems such as RedHat, CentOS, Scientific Linux in addition to Ubuntu and RHEL.
- Helps maintain and support the software management tools used to manage Linux platforms and build distributions as needed for business process support (coordinated patching efforts).
- Responsible for building, operating, and supporting research-computing environments; and administering linux-based HPC clusters on premise and in the cloud including resource management and job scheduling.
- Provides support for installing and troubleshooting research software issues and batch computing jobs with a focus on providing excellent service to researchers. Develop and provide guidelines to researcher regarding running software packages, network access, security best practices and hard usage
- Creates and maintains automation scripts using the enterprise tools (ansible) to automate system administration tasks as directed and provide input on new automation improvements.
Bachelor’s degree and 4 years of relevant experience; or High School Diploma (or equivalent) and 8 years of relevant work experience in lieu of degree.
Technical knowledge or experience:
- Linux Certifications or equivalent experience.
- General experience with High Performance Computing clusters.
- Scripting languages such as Python.
- Infrastructure as code tools (e.g. Ansible, Terraform).
- Version control systems (e.g. Github, Gitlab).
- Ability to create and maintain effective documentation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally.
- Ability to collaborate and coordinate technically complex efforts across teams.
- Ability to manage time and tasks effectively.
Are Benefits Important to You?
Working at UCF has its perks! In addition to helping drive change and having a positive impact by supporting our students, staff, and faculty, UCF offers:
- Benefit packages, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending, and Employee Assistance Program
- Paid time off, including annual and sick leave and paid holidays
- Retirement savings options
- Employee discounts, including tickets to many Orlando attractions
- Education assistance
- Flexible work environment
- And more…For more benefits information, go to UCF Employee Benefits Guide (12-14-21)
Who Are We?
Founded in 1963 to fuel the region’s talent pipeline and support the growing U.S. space program, UCF is built to make a better future for our students and society. It’s one of the reasons U.S. News & World Report ranks UCF among the nation’s top 20 most innovative colleges, while Forbes, Kiplinger, and The Princeton Review rank us a best-value university. UCF is one of 14 universities nationwide designated as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution and a Research 1 university. With 13 colleges, including a fully accredited College of Medicine, UCF offers more than 220-degree programs between its main campus, downtown campus, hospitality campus, academic health sciences campus, and 11 UCF Connect centers located throughout the region. In addition, UCF extends its reach to communities in and beyond Central Florida by offering complete, online programs leading to bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, Ph.D.'s., certificates, and more.
Unless explicitly stated on the job posting, it is UCF’s expectation that an employee of UCF will reside in Florida as of the date the employment begins.
Department: UCF IT
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday; 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Type of Appointment: Regular
Expected Salary: $75,809.00 to $94,761.00
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, UCF encourages all qualified applicants to apply, including women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations. UCF's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at http//www.oie.ucf.edu/documents/PresidentsStatement.pdf.
As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.
The University of Central Florida is proud to be a smoke-free campus and an E-Verify employer.