If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
The Communications Manager works with the Regional Vice President or assigned Regional Leader and the Communications team of WGU national to promote a positive image of WGU to the media, general public, specialized communities, employers, educators, students, and prospective students through effective use of media, engagements, special events, campaigns, promotions, and other related activities. This position will work a hybrid in-office/remote schedule in the Columbus, OH area.
The major accountabilities of the position are positive ongoing press coverage; a robust online presence and social dialogue for WGU; online communities; coordinating engagements, events, and campaigns that increase lead generation while engaging students and alumni; as well as constantly writing and generating content for news, social media, and WGU online presence. This position will close internally on 4/27/22.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assisting the RVP/Director in strategic communications, with an emphasis on media relations.
- Coordinating work by other PR/Marketing firms as appropriate.
- Coordinating events for media as well as students and alumni.
- Creating opportunities for placement of press releases to keep the presence of WGU constantly before the public in a positive manner.
- Conducting interviews, researching, and writing web copy as well as copy for articles, print, radio and TV, social media updates, newsletters and promotional materials.
- Providing information to media outlets by generating news releases and articles, arranging press conferences, and acting as a media liaison to disseminate information to inform and educate the public about WGU programs.
- Maintaining an ongoing interface with WGU to elicit news and promotional items of interest.
- Managing strategic social media plan and implementation, including creating online blogs and posts and initiating dialogue with online communities that promote WGU brand and degree programs.
- Monitoring media coverage and complying with media queries for information.
- Arranging, conducting and participating in public relations programs that maintain ongoing contact between organization representatives and the public.
- Developing, coordinating and participating in promotional ideas, events, campaigns and activities to publicize and promote WGU programs that increase lead generation.
- Arranging and coordinating public appearances and speaking engagements for the chancellor to generate awareness and interest among thought-leaders, employer communities, educators, and prospective students.
- Representing WGU at events or activities.
- Designing video, PPT slide, and other visual presentations.
- Coordinating marketing efforts with WGU marketing team.
- Consistent production of high-quality content for media and online use.
- Effective agency management
- Consistent growth of social media reach
- Effective promotions for scholarships and partnerships
- Continual development of creative ideas for media stories, blog posts, student events, and other promotional efforts
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively with all external audiences as well as WGU staff at all levels.
- Outstanding writing skills and ability to write effectively for different audiences.
- Understanding of and ability to develop relationships with media.
- Ability to conceptualize projects and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to perform creative writing and related activities such as conducting interviews, research, and editing.
- Ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret information accurately.
- Ability to communicate accurately and concisely.
- Ability to influence others positively.
- Ability to initiate creative and innovative promotional ideas.
- Display a competent and confident professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated skill and ability in the use of social media, including Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
- Demonstrated skill and ability in the effective use of equipment, computers and other resources for completion of projects such as posters, displays, PowerPoints, etc.
- Self-direction and reliability.
- Excellent, collaboration, and customer service skills.
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or related field.
- 5-8 years of experience in public relations or related field, including internships.
- An equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience is acceptable.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.