The Director of User Experience Design will provide creative and operational direction and vision for Scholastic’s suite of digital products and lead the User Experience (UX) team in developing useful, usable, and innovative products that will define the future of Scholastic Education Solutions. The role will report to the VP of UX and design and direct the teams to utilize user-centered design methodologies, observational research, and analytics to develop solutions that will balance user intent, business needs, and technical capabilities to achieve elegantly intuitive experiences. As a key member of the digital platform team, this position will significantly help define and execute the strategy, standards, and overall direction of the digital initiatives of Education Solutions.
- Craft a clear vision and design strategy for how a sophisticated feature set connects with one another, in partnership with the broader design, product development, and engineering leadership team.
- Provide hands-on work and practical design solutions in most up-to-date Figma and the global design system: You will lead designers and also work as a head product designer.
- This role will supervise all facets of product design for your team (UX/UI) and must also have demonstrated knowledge & experience with cross-functional subject areas (user research, content strategy, design operations).
- Oversee the design operation of Scholastic Education’s design system and its governance process working with FE development team.
- Introduce and refine standard methodologies internally to continuously improve team skills, quality, and efficiency.
- Lead a geographically dispersed team of 6-8 product designers.
- Collaborate with product and portfolio teams to craft, guide, and execute our roadmap and design solution.
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 100+ years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com
Some benefits that we offer:
- Full suite of health and wellness benefits (including a $0 deductible Medical Plan)
- Retirement Savings Plan 401(k) with options for both Roth and Traditional Contributions
- Tuition-Free programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees
- Generous Parental Leave Program
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) with opportunity for discounted stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.
HOW YOU CAN FIT (Qualifications)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in managing design teams (in-house designers, consultants, and 3rd party agencies): Consistent record of success as a people leader.
- Experience in Education Technology with a proven track record of envisioning and bringing to market innovative products.
- Deep knowledge of design system creation and operation working with multi-functional teams (Design, Research, Product Dev, Engineering, and Content).
- Expertise in up-to-date UX/UI design best practices and trends, including user research methodologies and design thinking.
- Mastery of hands-on design skills in Figma and other necessary design tools: from early wireframes to final deliverables with comprehensive specifications
- Trained in agile methodologies and experience acting as an evangelist for iterative, fast-paced, and lean product development practices.
- Deep knowledge of UX/UI design foundations: responsive design, accessibility, UI components, etc.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and storytelling skills to engage, inspire, and influence.
Experience and Education:
Experience: 12+ years
Job Family Group:
Annual Salary: 170,000.00 - 196,000.00
Scholastic is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our policy is clear: there shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam veteran. Those factors shall not influence the determination of qualifications for a job or other opportunity within the company. Further, all personnel actions (such as compensation, tuition aid, benefits, transfers, promotions, and dismissals, company-sponsored training, social and recreational programs) shall be administered without discrimination.