Over 20 years ago, Stride was founded to provide personalized learning — powered by technology. We reached students where they were in their own journeys. We knocked down their barriers to great education. And we gave every learner equal opportunity to succeed — however they defined success. Stride innovated the learning experience with online and blended learning that prepared them for their lives ahead.
Stride is a community of passionate leaders. Whether teachers, engineers, curriculum writers, or financial managers — whatever your expertise or role, we all work to empower futures through learning. And changing the trajectory of learning itself is one of our greatest missions. Join us in developing more effective ways to learn and helping learners build the skills and confidence they need to make their way forward in life.
Stride Tutoring is an exciting new startup within Stride’s portfolio of companies, focused on building and scaling an innovative educational marketplace that connects tutors and students. Our aim is to enable students to achieve their educational goals through receiving high-quality, personalized online tutoring from expert, certified teachers. Over time we plan to expand this marketplace further to serve a broader set of educational needs for a wider range of customers.
Stride Tutoring is seeking a Head of Business Development, to establish and develop a vibrant pipeline of B2B customers and strategic partnerships to enhance our opportunities within target markets. The position will be responsible for identifying, recruiting, and managing the appropriate network of school and district partners, as well as other education/edtech companies to partner with and support our long-term strategy to gain market share. This role will provide direction and guidance to a team of Account Executives to meet – and ideally exceed – B2B sales objectives for Stride Tutoring. This role will create cohesive strategies and activities to drive sales to large school districts across the country, as well as identify and execute strategic nationwide partnerships to broaden our distribution. This role reports to the General Manager, Stride Tutoring.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Lead the review and exploration of new business that tightly aligns with the strategic direction and goals
- Supervise, mentor, and guide the Account Executive team using data to create action plans aimed at building the B2B sales pipeline and achieving new and renewal sales goals
- Develop and execute long-term sales and partnership strategies while also meeting near-term milestones
- Develop systems and procedures in support of the identification, engagement, and development of strategic partnerships, new markets and channels; qualify incoming partnership approaches
- Conceptualize new strategic initiatives that could be built around or benefit from targeted partnerships
- Develop and manage reporting and financial tracking of sales and strategic partnership activities
- Work in the field with the Account Executive team on a regular basis to drive results
- Present reports on account progress, quotas, and goals to leadership and stakeholders
- Generate and own a sales and business development pipeline, with financial targets and goals, and is responsible for closing deals
- Conduct outreach to potential clients or partners, own ongoing communication and tracking, and lead collaboration internally regarding contract terms and negotiations
- Deliver professional sales presentations to potential partner organizations to persuade and close business
- Design, create, and provide superior training to internal and external sales teams and distribution partners
- Own the RFP process for the Tutoring line of business
- Research and analyze the market, competitors, and customers to propose new products/solutions, pricing, and business models
- Network extensively to stay informed about current and future market and competitor trends
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises 3-5 Full-time Equivalent (FTE) regular employees and/or contractors. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ten (10) years of experience in business development or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A learner’s mindset as well as the dependence on data to drive actions and decisions
- Driven, goal-oriented, and self-directed
- Strong relationship-builder, able to quickly build and sustain trust
- Proven ability to find strategic partnerships that drive revenue and market penetration
- Proven ability to negotiate and work with high level executives
- Strong analytical skills (financial, planning, operational)
- Demonstrated drive to solve problems in a matrix team environment and lead with high energy and a positive attitude
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing partnerships over time
- Experience of working as part of a senior management team and leading strategy
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration
- Commitment to building and contributing to a positive team culture
- Excellent communication skills
- Track record of success in prior sales roles
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.); Web proficiency
- Ability to clear required background check
Certificates and Licenses: None required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field of study
- Deep understanding of the virtual education, K12 education, and knowledge/experience of ed tech systems
- Prior experience using Salesforce
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position is remote and open to residents of the 50 states, D.C.
Compensation & Benefits: Stride, Inc. considers a person’s education, experience, and qualifications, as well as the position’s work location, expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any), external market and internal value when determining a new employee’s salary level. Salaries will differ based on these factors, the position’s level and expected contribution, and the employee’s benefits elections. Offers will typically be in the bottom half of the range.
- We anticipate the salary range to be $155,388.00 to $265,303.00. Eligible employees may receive a bonus. This salary is not guaranteed, as an individual’s compensation can vary based on several factors. These factors include, but are not limited to, geographic location, experience, training, education, and local market conditions. Stride offers a robust benefits package for eligible employees that can include health benefits, retirement contributions, and paid time off.
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is “at-will” as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the “at-will” nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
Stride, Inc. is a Federal Contractor, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status age, or genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)