Date: Nov 15, 2023
Company: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Job Title: Principal Learning Experience Designer, Mathematics
Location: Remote: Fully remote Position – May be performed from any State in the US.
Who We Are
HMH is a learning technology company committed to delivering connected solutions that engage learners, empower educators, and improve student outcomes. As a leading provider of K–12 core curriculum, supplemental and intervention solutions, and professional learning services, HMH partners with educators and school districts to uncover solutions that unlock students' potential and extend teachers' capabilities. HMH serves more than 50 million students and four million educators in 150 countries.
What you'll do:
The Principal Learning Experience Designer will apply relevant experience to develop and delivering high-quality, clearly-written, pedagogically-appropriate, digital-first solutions that solve specific market problems shared by teachers and students. The person will typically lead a collaborative scrum team in solving a variety of demonstrated market problems. The person in this role leverages data from a variety of sources and is willing and able to nurture innovative thinking across the team to develop the best solutions possible given the existing constraints. This role will also model problem-solving prowess, effective collaboration, and prioritization skills to deliver incremental value to users aligned with the company’s strategic plans. The Principal will also steward, advocate, and serve as an implementor of a consistent user experience, especially in digital.
Working in Learning Experience Design (LXD) for Mathematics, the Principal Learning Experience Designer will be responsible for the following primary duties:
User Experience and Instructional Design:
- Working in collaboration and partnership with other teams, drives, defines, and/or influences the end-to-end user journey for digital experiences on HMH's teaching and learning platform.
- Leverages and applies expertise in many areas: discipline-specific knowledge, assessment, social-emotional learning, hands-on learning, differentiation, standards analysis, data analytics, multilingual learner support, accessibility, culturally responsive education, metadata, etc.
- Models flexibility across grades and across projects/tasks. Supports decision-making across and within solutions.
- If a Product Owner, leads a scrum team in creating and adapting content for a digital-first experience. As needed, has the knowledge and experience to lead a scrum team through Print production.
- Can serve as a Product Owner on a scrum team responsible for solving more complex teaching and learning problems. Relies on discovery and data analysis to test, develop, deliver, and iteratively optimize solutions in a variety of media formats. Guides scrum team in setting priorities. Manages the product backlog and holds the team accountable to sprint plans
- Delivers value to customers in keeping with capacity constraints, budget, interdependencies across teams, and market expectations, often arriving at and advocating for fresh, innovative solutions that surprise and delight users.
- Understands, applies, and models agile story-pointing to enable the scrum team to carry out high-quality iterative development. Adeptly uses retrospectives as a way to solve problems and improve team output and collaboration.
- May work independently with internal groups/vendors on sprint-based cross-team tasks and cross-company initiatives.
- Develops and implements change management strategies and plans as needed.
- Actively uses research to help drive team decisions to develop solutions for a wide variety of users based on market problems and needs. Knowledgeable of specific types of research methods such as observation and qualitative themes, quantitative responses, and useability testing. Collaborates with the Research team to identify goals for testing. Is ultimately responsible for ensuring that research is carried out and results implemented.
- Seeks out, applies, and synthesizes data from a variety of sources, including HMH's teaching and learning platform, to address market problems with input from key stakeholders
- If a Product Owner, ensures that the scrum team understands and utilizes usage and efficacy data (e.g., task difficulty, time on task, growth data) in order to iterate/improve upon instructional content.
Definition of Success:
- Delivers iterative solutions on time and within budget that meet market needs as measured by product sales, customer testimonials, and platform usage data.
- Clearly communicates program goals and philosophy with core and extended scrum team members.
- Fosters scrum team efficiency, morale, and success.
- Proactively seeks out and applies learnings from relevant connections across all LXD, across departments, or even lines of business.
What you’ll need to qualify for this role:
- 7–8 years experience in instructional design for K-12 students
- Expertise in K-12 Mathematics
- K-12 teaching experience (preferred)
- 1-2 years of Agile Scrum Product Owner experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Education, Instructional Design, or a field related to the discipline
- Comfortable working in a variety of digital authoring tools and content-management systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Agile methodology, JIRA (preferred)
- Data analysis/interpretation
- Scrum team management (preferred)
- Experience creating and using metadata (preferred)
Benefits and Salary Range
Salary Range - $80K-$90K
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, ethnic/national origin, ancestry, age, disability, military status, genetic predisposition, citizenship status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran, other covered veteran, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity. We actively participate in E-Verify.
Job Segment: Training, Instructional Designer, Learning, Education, Human Resources, Publishing