As a Senior Java Software Developer, you will be a foundational team member in a highly collaborative team continually working on a variety of complex and challenging projects. You will be an integral team member within our Agile software development team, responsible for analysis, design, implementation, and unit testing within a high-performing team-oriented team. You will use industry best practices while producing high-quality full stack solutions in a collaborative, agile, results driven environment across a diverse set of business areas supporting: results processing, client data and notifications, Test Center support portal and business support tools. You will also be responsible for maintaining and supporting mission-critical applications as necessary. In this role you will be expected to continually grow, deliver enterprise software, mentor software developers, and contribute to process improvement activities.
This position is part of the high performance CTRS team, which supports essential software products within the Pearson VUE’s core business. This Agile team is foundational to the VUE client testing infrastructure supporting the Test Center support portal, results processing and numerous client and testing center administration tools.
The Senior Software Developer will:
In this role you will be a key contributor on our team. This role will work as a lead developer and software designer on many key initiatives working closely with the Product Architect. You will do this through developing and implementation of software that achieves the goals of the architecture and software standards within your product area.
Analyze & Design: Ensure business and requirements artifacts are created that effectively model the customer's requirements. Use tooling and best practices to create design models from requirements.
Review: Participate in and lead requirements, design and code reviews
Development: Build software solutions in a variety of Java and associated J2EE technologies following Pearson coding standards and industry best practices
Test & Deployment: Work closely with other teams (e.g., QA, configuration management, end users) to release high quality software. Create testable software and write and execute unit and automated tests.
Release Management: Perform and support regular scheduled releases activities
Quality/process improvement: Participate in group improvement activities and initiatives to improve process and product quality in pursuit of excellence
Reporting: Complete project documentation as required, including Story updates, logging status, risk management, progress, and effort on assigned work
People & Processes: -Work to enhance our team oriented culture. Mentor and train new team members, participate in development forums and team workgroups to develop and enhance team processes and technologies
Performance Management: Utilize APM application performance management tools to monitor and performance tune software and environment configurations.
Production Support: Maintain and support mission-critical application support activities as scheduled within team rotation
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years relevant software development experience creating business applications with relational database systems
- 6+ years Java and J2EE technologies experience
- 4+ years software architecture experience
- 3+ years project and technical leadership experience
- 5+ years programmatic interaction with relational database systems
- IT Architecture experience in large project development, development lifecycles, development methodologies, project scoping, process improvement, and variety of technologies and tools
- Strong communication skills and experience building technical designs and documentation
- 3+ years Agile experience
- 3+ years production support experience
- 3+ years software design experience
- 2+ year cloud and devops experience
- Experience in software architecture
- Experience in creating design documents and performing code reviews
- Desire to expand knowledge in many development languages, applications, and tools
- Proven ability to quickly learn new processes and tools, business domains and technical applications
- Ability to think technically and analytically
- Ability to understand philosophy of architecture
- Must assimilate information, distill knowledge, apply experience and provide solution alternatives and recommendations
- Must have strong time management skills - including ability to work well under pressure, plan, set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timelines
- Must develop effective relationships with customers and work well within a team
- Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented
- Must have a positive and energetic demeanor
- Must be team-oriented and collaboration focused
- Must have test automation experience
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Experience in Batch processing and backend software development
- Experience in application performance management and performance tuning
Experience with the following tools (Required):
- Java SE AND J2EE (6 years)
- Spring and Spring Boot framework (3 years)
- Web Services (4 years)
- REST services (4 years)
- Corba experience (1 year)
- SQL (6 years)
- Azure or AWS Cloud (2 years)
- JBOSS OR Tomcat (2 years)
- Agile development (4 years)
- Architecture and OOAD Design patterns
- Azure Cloud Infrastructure experience
Experience with some or all of the following tools (Preferred):
- RabbitMQ or JMS
- Gauge and Selenium
- New Relic
- Apache Camel
Compensation at Pearson is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific location. As required by the Colorado, California, Washington State, New York State and New York City laws, the pay range for this position is as follows:
The minimum full-time salary range is between $115k - $130k.
This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, and information on benefits offered is here
What to expect from Pearson
Did you know Pearson is one of the 10 most innovative education companies of 2022?
At Pearson, we add life to a lifetime of learning so everyone can realize the life they imagine. We do this by creating vibrant and enriching learning experiences designed for real-life impact. We are on a journey to be 100 percent digital to meet the changing needs of the global population by developing a new strategy with ambitious targets. To deliver on our strategic vision, we have five business divisions that are the foundation for the long-term growth of the company: Assessment & Qualifications, Virtual Learning, English Language Learning, Workforce Skills and Higher Education. Alongside these, we have our corporate divisions: Digital & Technology, Finance, Global Corporate Marketing & Communications, Human Resources, Legal, Strategy and Direct to Consumer. Learn more at We are Pearson.
We value the power of an inclusive culture and also a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to building a workplace where talent can learn, grow and thrive.
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We want a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or any other group protected by law. We strive for a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities.
If you are an individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career site as a result of your disability, you may request reasonable accommodations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that the information you provide will stay confidential and will be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.