Columbia University Investment Management Company, LLC, (“IMC”) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Columbia University charged with stewarding Columbia’s endowment for the current and future support of operations and with preserving the purchasing power of the endowment over the long-term. Almost all funds are managed externally in a diversified strategy that uses active and passive management techniques across a range of asset classes.
The IMC seeks professionals who can contribute materially to the management of the portfolio. The IMC environment is one in which staff members are expected to develop professionally, work collaboratively, and assume greater responsibilities according to ability and impact.
Columbia Investment Management Company is developing a next generation data analytics platform to support our portfolio management and investment selection process. A core component of our platform is the analysis of our portfolio, external investment managers and the ad hoc analysis of market sectors. We are seeking an experienced financial analytics developer with deep python experience to help build out our analytics platform. This role reports to the Chief Technology Officer.
The Software Developer will be critical to the design and development of software solutions supporting portfolio management, portfolio analysis and manager selection using Python and native cloud services. The Software Developer is responsible for new application development, enhancing existing applications as well as ongoing support.
- Provides hands on development expertise and leadership in product development with functional capabilities in portfolio management and investment selection
- Takes a lead role in all phases of application development, including requirements gathering, analysis, design, development, testing, and deployment
- Coordinates and prioritizes tasks within the software development lifecycle in conjunction with the entire software team.
- Serves as software development leader who contributes to peer code reviews and helps increase the Python skills of the entire team
- Contributes to the ongoing enhancement of DevOps processes and procedures
- Leads development of test plans and provides technical support in all phases of testing and QA.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of five years related experience
- Advanced degree is desirable.
- Minimum 3 years Python development experience including Pandas and Numpy
- Minimum 3 years of analytics development (financial preferred)
- Experience with excel including ability to capture and interpret calculation requirements from existing spreadsheets
- Familiar with data pipelines and data transformations
- Basic proficiency in relational databases (SQL)
- Experience with AWS & cloud services
- Familiar with automated testing, DevOps and CI/CD
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Familiar with Git/Version Control
- Must be detail-oriented with strong analytical skills and organized work habits.
- Must be able to identify priorities within multiple assignments in a high-pressured, short-deadline environment, and be able to work with diplomacy and efficiency in such an environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical, critical thinking, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Work well with all levels of employees, be flexible in nature, have sound judgment with an open and collaborative style that encourages teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization.
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.