Information Technology Curriculum Writer/Subject Matter Expert (Contract)
Who We Are
Thinkful is a new type of school that brings high-growth tech careers to ambitious people everywhere. We provide 1-on-1 learning through our network of industry experts, hiring partners, and online platform to deliver a structured and flexible education. Thinkful offers programs in web development, data science, data analytics, UX design, and project management.
We are looking for a mid to senior level Information Technology Specialist, IT Program Manager, IT Support Specialist and/or Network Administrator subject matter expert/curriculum writer to join us in creating curriculum content on the topic of Information Technology. In this role, you will work with an Instructional Designer to write content for an IT Certificate Program. These materials will be used to support our students as they master the core skills of Information Technology.
- Write clear and measurable learning objectives exercising the Bloom’s Taxonomy model.
- Consistently deliver content that meets set criteria and is on time to support our program launch roadmap.
- Create new and revised lesson content for the online program curriculum.
- Design in-lesson assessments that will measure the comprehension of the learner as it relates directly to the course curriculum.
- Create assets to support lesson plans, student activities, and written curriculum content such as:
- Assessments (e.g., quizzes, tests, and hands-on activities to provide students with feedback on their learning progress in the program (formative) or allow learners to demonstrate their development of key skills (summative)
- Individual projects and presentations
- Video scripts for topic and demonstration videos
- Visual assets and/or reference images (diagrams, charts) and sample templates as needed
- Iterate on deliverables based on user feedback
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in Information Technology
- Demonstrated subject matter expert in Information Technology with an emphasis in:
- Computer basics, technical skills (system configurations, command lines, BASH) troubleshooting (computer software fundamentals and foundations, AD, system memory, installation and uninstall of operational systems)
- Hardware, mobile devices, peripherals, RAM, SSD, etc.,
- Data management, SQL, PowerBi, etc.,
- Networking, security basics, call tracking tools/ticketing systems, product management, asset management, coding, methodology, and more
- Ability to identify soft skills as it relates to a role of an IT Support Professional
- Understand the IT Support Workflow
- Previous work experience in related roles or titles and/or developing curriculum for adults in the following areas:
- IT Support
- Help Desk Specialist
- Field Technician
- Network Support Engineering
- Data Support
- End User Computing Technician
- Network Support Specialist
- Collaborative (e.g., you enjoy partnering with people and have excellent project management skills and follow through)
- Good writing skills (e.g., you can produce high-quality prose as well as high-quality presentations)
- You have a gift for writing complicated concepts in a beginner-friendly way, and can appropriately scaffold for beginners (design a curriculum that produces a platform that enhances a student’s ability to retain information, build on prior knowledge, and demonstrate their level of understanding throughout the program)
- Comfort with scripting and recording demo videos on IT topics and concepts with visuals (topic videos) or demonstration that walks a student through how to perform a specific task or use different tools (demo videos)
- Capable of remote work. You enjoy collaborating and partnering with people in a remote environment and have excellent project management skills and follow through
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft tools (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Experience with Adult Learning Theories (a nice to have but not required)
- Ideally available 30-40 hours per week (negotiable)
- Experience in Instructional Design or experience teaching
- Technical writing
- Visual design skills (e.g., you can translate complex ideas or concepts into charts, infographics, diagrams, or video scripts/demos)
- Editorial experience and skills
- Project Management experience in systems (e.g. Microsoft Azure, Admin, Jira/Atlassian Suite, ServiceNow, Database Admins, or related ticket tracking systems)
Compensation and Benefits
- Contract position with a collaborative team
- Ability to work remotely with flexible hours
- Access to all available course curriculum for personal use
- Membership of a global community of over 500 Software Engineers, Developers, and Data Scientists and techies who, like you, want to keep their skills sharp and help learners break into the industry.
- United States Remote: This is a remote position which may be performed anywhere in the United States except for within the state of Colorado.
In your application, please include the following materials and information. This will help us expedite the hiring process, so it’s important that you follow these directions. Candidates who provide this information will be prioritized in our review.
- Your expected hourly compensation
- The number of hours you’re available per week
- A sample of previous work: If you have previous relevant educational-content writing or media samples, we would love to see 1-3 samples. You can add a file or link to a Google doc, Word doc, or pdf that has sharing permissions set to give us access. (You can link-out to your work samples if needed).
- Samples can include:
- Slide decks, video scripts, demo videos
- Public-facing content like blog or Medium posts
- Online tutorials, internal training documents
- When you submit previous work, please also provide:
- 1-sentence description of who your target learner is
- 1-sentence learning objective for the deliverable.
The pay range for this position is $65.00 to $85.00. actual pay will vary based on geographic location, job requirements, professional experience, and other factors.
In addition, Chegg offers a comprehensive benefits plan for eligible employees, including medical, dental, vision, life and supplemental life insurance, short-and long-term disability, mental health support, parental leave, paid time off, volunteer time off, paid holidays, 401(k) with matching contributions, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (H.S.A.) options, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, an Employee Referral Program, Tuition Reimbursement, and other benefits found at: https://www.chegg.com/about/working-at-chegg/benefits/
What is Chegg?
An ‘always on’ digital learning platform.
Chegg puts students first…Everything we build in this company is student-focused, making us the leading student-first connected learning platform. Chegg strives to improve the overall return on investment in education by helping students learn more in less time and at a lower cost. This is achieved by providing students a multitude of educational tools from affordable textbook rentals to Chegg Study which supplements their learning through 24/7 tutor access, step-by-step help with questions, and more. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG.
Why do we exist?
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student
shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to student.
Chegg out our culture and benefits!
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer