The Systems Engineer's responsibilities include ensuring the stability, integrity and efficient operation of the information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by installing, monitoring, maintaining, supporting and optimizing all required hardware and software and associated operating systems. This position will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate and resolve issues to maximize the benefit of OverDrive systems investments.
- Collaborate with IT and Development staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Work with OverDrive team members, decision makers and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
- Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software and operating systems.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Create and maintain detailed documentation as it relates to OverDrive system configurations.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests of OverDrive systems for new and existing systems.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support as required.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams and charts to provide systems support to development teams.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Perform cost-benefit and ROI analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years’ of experience with network / systems operations and support of relevant hardware and software.
- Solid knowledge of industry standard practices and technical best practices.
- Advanced understanding of the application and the use of LAN, WAN, TCP / IP, DNS, DHCP, Active Directory and other network topologies and technology infrastructures.
- Ability to take ownership of servers, systems and portals.
- Experience with scripting languages, such as PowerShell and C#.
- Experience with Virtualization technologies, including VMware, Microsoft Azure and AWS.
- Experience with Kubernetes preferred.
As you’ve probably guessed, OverDrive is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else, we don’t even want you to be like us—we want you to be like you! So, if you're interested in joining the OverDrive team, apply below and tell us what inspires you about OverDrive and why you think you are perfect for our team.
OverDrive values diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.