As a Principal Assessment Specialist- Science within the Asset Creation team, you will work as both a content and assessment expert to develop K-12 assessments for our state and district clients. Our team develops standards-based assessments for students across the United States. We collaborate with education departments, committees of educators, and business partners to develop assessments of learning that are accessible to all students. We are looking for flexible and creative content experts to be leaders on our team.
- Develop and review science test items and stimuli, including multiple choice, technology enhanced, extended response, cluster sets, performance-based tasks, and simulations across multiple grade levels for large-scale assessments
- Generate and implement asset specifications, item development plans, test blueprints, test designs, and other ancillary documents
- Develop items and assessments based on accessibility considerations
- Select, assign, manage, and train item/passage writers and educators to develop items based on standards, cognitive complexity, and item development best practices
- Facilitate customer meetings related to item and passage review, data review, test construction, review of composed test forms, achievement-level descriptors, standard setting, and technical advisory committees
- Lead initiatives that support the improvement of Pearson’s ability to deliver quality assets and assessments
- Provide industry-level leadership related to science and assessment
- Support new projects and struggling project teams and individuals in determining needs, planning a course of action, and guiding follow-through actions
- Apply national and international trends to science and assessments
- Lead research activities, including conference presentations and the publication of white papers
- Create and deliver professional development activities
- Co-lead or lead proposals and design solutions that meet the requirements of the proposal (e.g., text, sample items, solutions, training, costs)
- Collaborate across Pearson functional groups
- Communicate the principles of assessment to a wide variety of audiences
- Act in a supervisory role, including mentoring Content Specialist and Assessment Specialist staff and providing feedback on performance
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Some travel required
Compensation at Pearson is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific location. As required by the Colorado, California, Washington State, New York State and New York City laws, the pay range for this position is as follows:
The minimum full-time salary range is between $80,000 - $90,000.
This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, and information on benefits offered is here
- Bachelor's degree in education, science, or equivalent degree required; master's degree desired
- At least seven years’ experience as an elementary or secondary teacher in the field of science preferred
- At least five years’ assessment experience, with three years of content development experience preferred
- Knowledge of all phases of the development, processing, scoring, and reporting of large-scale assessments required
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and the ability to identify problems and provide solutions to a variety of audiences
- Excellent planning, organizational, and problem-solving skills and the ability to coordinate multiple activities and adapt to unexpected events
- Skilled in evaluating and providing input on project schedules and process documents
- Broad knowledge of common software programs, strong technology skills, and the confidence necessary to work with unfamiliar programs
What to expect from Pearson
Did you know Pearson is one of the 10 most innovative education companies of 2022?
At Pearson, we add life to a lifetime of learning so everyone can realize the life they imagine. We do this by creating vibrant and enriching learning experiences designed for real-life impact. We are on a journey to be 100 percent digital to meet the changing needs of the global population by developing a new strategy with ambitious targets. To deliver on our strategic vision, we have five business divisions that are the foundation for the long-term growth of the company: Assessment & Qualifications, Virtual Learning, English Language Learning, Workforce Skills and Higher Education. Alongside these, we have our corporate divisions: Digital & Technology, Finance, Global Corporate Marketing & Communications, Human Resources, Legal, Strategy and Direct to Consumer. Learn more at We are Pearson.
We value the power of an inclusive culture and also a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to building a workplace where talent can learn, grow and thrive.
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We want a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or any other group protected by law. We strive for a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities.
If you are an individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career site as a result of your disability, you may request reasonable accommodations by emailing email@example.com.
Note that the information you provide will stay confidential and will be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Job: PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Organization: Assessment & Qualifications
Req ID: 13028