SUMMARY: Serving as the primary point of contact for all campus students during their academic career, and reporting to the Director, Student Affairs, the Student Affairs Advisor is the principal advising resource for students and is responsible for enhancing the students’ overall University experience by helping them utilize the University academic and support services, delivering and maintaining a comprehensive persistence success and remediation system. Through collaboration with students, faculty, and associates, the Student Advisor will identify students who need additional assistance to be successful and work to proactively address areas of concern as students strive to achieve their educational goals. The Student Advisor will also coordinate and manage student relations activities such as: student persistence, retention, and satisfaction strategies. In addition, the Student Advisor is responsible for assisting with the facilitation and implementation of developmental programs to support students throughout their WCU education. This role requires the ability to work with multiple campus constituencies including Administration, Faculty, Admissions, Financial Aid, and Registrar staff and other applicable associates and campus leaders.
- Knows principles, theories, and concepts of the profession through practical experience. Generally 2-3 years of relevant experience required.
- A minimum of one years’ previous experience in student services.
- Knowledge in the higher education field to cultivate a learner-centered environment and to foster excellence.
- Knowledge of healthcare industry or direct experience preferred, but not required.
- Experience and skill in interpersonal communications and conflict resolution techniques/procedures.
- Proficient command of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and correct usage of the English language.
- Experience with MS Office.
- Knowledge of applicable databases and computer application systems to supply the most accurate information, reports and projections.
- Knowledge of state, federal and local laws/regulations relating to programs, governmental compliance and other regulatory standards such as Title IV, Title IX, ADA, WASC, BPPE, and other accreditation standards
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university which includes coursework in Education, Instructional Design, Administration, Business Management, Student Affairs, Psychology, or related field.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with three years of experience relevant to the position.
Master’s or Higher Degree from an accredited college or university which includes coursework in Education, Instructional Design, Administration, Business Management, Student Affairs, Psychology, or related field.
(Every effort has been made to identify the essential skills/qualifications of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only skills/qualifications you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of skills/qualifications does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential skill/qualification of the position.)
- Ability to understand and support the mindset, work schedule and level of commitment of current and future healthcare industry professionals for the purposes of creating successful retention plans.
- Ability to coordinate resources; participate in and facilitate group meetings.
- Ability to work effectively in a highly ethnic and culturally diverse student and associate community.
- Ability to work within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to exercise excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to prepare necessary reports, evaluate program effectiveness.
- Ability to use effective communication skills, both oral and written, including presentations and effective listening skills.
- Ability to demonstrate strong professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to self-direct, self-pace, multi-task and function well under pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to work with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to exercise good judgment.
- Ability to travel/drive locally on a weekly, daily and/or on an as needed basis.
For over 100 years, West Coast University has been educating and preparing students for professional careers across our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver transformational education within a culture of integrity and personal accountability.
Our benefited faculty and associates are offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional Development
West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.
Campus: WCU Online California
Online (Non CA) Salary: $44,496 - $60,049
CA Salary: $50,882 - $68,701