What We’re Looking For:
2U believes in the power of higher education to unlock human potential and help address society’s critical needs. With 45 million registered learners in 196 countries and a catalog of 4,000 digital programs offered by 230 partners (including 38 of top 50 universities in the world), our platform connects learners who want to learn with institutions who have best-in-class learning content. Our mission is to build the world’s best consumer centered higher education marketplace.
The Data Science team is chartered to relentlessly improve all 2U revenue operations by surfacing insights, and identifying and enabling product and marketing innovations leveraging analytics, experimentation and modeling.
As a Data Scientist, you’ll partner with a diverse range of cross-functional business partners to uncover new opportunities, design, execute, and analyze experiments, and deliver solutions that have a significant business impact and implications for our learners. You will help drive innovations through effective identification and application of analytics, causal inference, experimentation, and machine learning. This is a high-impact role in which you will have a direct influence on how product and marketing decisions are made. You will play a key role in spurring innovations to drive growth, engagement, and retention at a critical moment in 2U’s history.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Effectively identify and apply analytics, causal inference, experimentation, and machine learning techniques for given business problems
- Proactively perform data exploration on engagement behaviors to discover future opportunities
- Apply modeling and machine learning techniques to business problems, including engagement and retention forecasts and valuation models
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders from product, marketing, engineering, admissions, operations, etc., to develop and deploy insights and models at scale
- Relentlessly improve data science team operations by providing feedback and mentorship to team members
- Present your insights to all levels of the company
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 3+ years of relevant working experience in a quantitative role performing statistical modeling and analysis. (We are open to hiring mid-level to senior candidates for this role.)
- Strong statistical knowledge and intuition - ideally utilized in experimentation, predictive modeling, forecasting or other analytics settings
- Experience in building real-world machine learning models with demonstrated business impact
- Strong SQL and quantitative programming skills in Python or R
- Comfort working independently to take ambiguous problems and solve them down in a structured, hypothesis-driven, data-supported way
- Excitement about influencing product strategies in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment
- Ability to communicate technical and statistical concepts clearly and concisely among audiences at many different levels
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Economics or related quantitative field
- Experience productionizing real-time machine learning models
- Experience with running online controlled experiments at scale
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
The anticipated base salary range for this role is $120,000 -$150,000, with potential bonus eligibility. Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, budget for the position and cost of labor in the market in which the candidate will be hired.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.