Our organization: Illustrative Mathematics
IM seeks to ensure that students, particularly students who have historically been underserved, and their teachers have access to aligned, grade-level, mathematics curriculum resources, and that teachers experience professional learning that leads to enduring mathematical learning for their students.
Position Type: Contracted, temporary
Location: Hybrid: virtual and in-person options available
Hours and Compensation
- The compensation for new IM Certified Facilitators (Level 1) is as follows:
- 2-hour virtual events: $300 as the lead facilitator or $175 as a moderator
- 6-hour onsite events: $1,000
- IM covers transportation (flights, train, etc.) to onsite event destinations
- Facilitators are reimbursed for costs associated with transportation (i.e. ground transportation)
- All work is dependent upon workflow and contractor’s availability; monthly and weekly hours, as well as event assignments, which cannot be guaranteed
IM Certified Facilitators
are talented and passionate mathematics educators that champion IM's mission to create a world where all learners know, use, and enjoy mathematics. In this role, an IM Certified Facilitator will bring their expertise of IM professional learning products to provide expertly facilitated sessions to schools and school districts throughout the summer and school-year while driving IM’s core values of courage, diversity, and collaboration. As a contracted facilitator, the successful candidate will support the PL Implementation and Talent team’s goal of providing a coherent, consistent, and quality customer experience.
IM Certified Facilitators’ primary focus is to provide professional learning on behalf of IM for schools and teachers around the nation. Applicants who are only interested in providing professional learning to teachers in their own district will not be accepted.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities
- Bring and/or develop extensive knowledge and deep understanding of IM K–5 Math, IM 6–8 Math and/or IM 9–12 Math curriculum and professional learning
- Facilitate and moderate IM Certified professional learning events; virtual and/or onsite
- Review the IM K–5 Math, IM 6–8 Math and/or IM 9–12 Math teacher and student materials for all applicable grades prior to the training
- Conduct knowledgeable conversations with participants about IM K–5 Math, IM 6–8 Math and/or IM 9–12 Math Curricula
- Be available to facilitate a minimum of 20 in-person and/or virtual professional learning units on behalf of IM during the summer months of June-September
- Participate in IM’s Mentoring Program for a minimum of four (4) hours of mentoring within the first three months of service. Mentoring sessions are not compensated.
- Problem solve and take initiative when needed during events to ensure a successful professional learning experience
- Work collaboratively with others in a fast-paced environment
- Be a team player with a positive, outgoing, flexible attitude
- Have a willingness to learn alongside other facilitators and users of IM curricula
- Share IM’s vision of “Creating a world all where learners know, use, and enjoy mathematics”
- Experience teaching mathematics in a K-12 school, 3 or more years preferred
- Experience providing professional learning or coaching to math teachers (or other equivalent experience)
- Demonstrated commitment to engaging all students in problem-based instruction
- Attendance to an in-person/hybrid 2-day certification training or an equivalent virtual apprenticeship experience at the participant’s expense
- Participate in IM’s Mentoring Program for a minimum of 4 hours of mentoring within the first three months of service. Mentoring sessions are not compensated.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction and supervision
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Team player with a positive, outgoing, flexible attitude
- Willingness to learn alongside other facilitators and users of IM curricula
- Problem-solving ability and initiative
- Familiarity with Google Workspace, particularly Docs, Slides, and Drive
- Availability to facilitate in-person professional learning on behalf of IM
- Strong computer skills with cloud-based systems, particularly Google Workspace applications, Slack, and online conferencing platforms (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Meets, etc.)